Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Gardening

Growing Potatoes

(14 posts)

1. ben_short

Hi,

I have my potatoes chitting and have been reading about how to plant them.

I cleared the bed of weeds last year and covered it over with weed proof membrane.
    What I plan to do when its time is dig 9inch deep trenches and fill with about 4inches of rotted manure. Then add about an 2 inches of compost and plant the tubers into that. Then cover them up with the soil dug out of the trench.

Does this sound like a good way to go?

Regards

Ben

Posted 7 years ago #
  2. kellyk

Sounds good Ben - the reason why spuds are my favotite thing to grow is that you can't go wrong with them. I'm sure that your spuds will be very happy - especially with so much manure! Are they an early variety? I won't be planting my spuds for probably another month yet as they are not good with frost and as I live in Yorkshire its still a bit parky at the moment.
    Good luck!
    Kelly

Posted 7 years ago #
  3. ben_short

Hi Kelly,

They are desiree which are a main crop and currently chitting.

I'll only be able to about 20 tubers as I share an allotment and potatoes take up lots of room :)

Ben

Posted 7 years ago #
  4. Hi Ben

Your trench & layers sound good.

What is your soil like? You will need some friable soil, either side of your potato trench, to put on top of the potatoes as they grow.

Aim for at least 15inches of friable soil either side of the seed potato. This friable soil will be nice crumbly soil, to use when ridging up the potatoes. So before you dig the trench, check that the soil either side is OK.

TopVeg

Posted 7 years ago #
  5. ben_short

Hi TopVeg,

I'm in Kent and have chalk soil. I can only describe the soil and light and fluffy well it was when I covered it up. I'll use a plank to walk on when digging the trenches.

How does this sound?

Ben

Posted 7 years ago #
  6. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi, I have just harvested a bountiful crop of potatoes that I had "growing" in my fridge in May. Again I think they were Cara, our favourite, and the smae as last year. I did nothing to them but plant them.
    Regards,
    Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 6 years ago #
  7. can't believe you keep potatoes in the fridge
    Mo x

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  8. campbell ridge
    Administrator

why not?

Sarah L
    Posted 6 years ago #
  9. I would have thought they would go green like when they have been hit by frost, but clearly not or you wouldn't do it
    Mo x

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  10. Hi
    Storing potatoes in a small modern house can be quite a problem. With no shed or pantry, the fridge seems the only cool, dark place. But it is not very airy!
    My daughter regularly asks me to do a 'fridge audit' - when on my 8 weekly visit. There are always potatoes with long, straggly shoots - so they obviously grow within 8 weeks - & must like the fridge conditions!!

Posted 6 years ago #
  11. quax

I am hopeless at growing potatoes. This year potatoes just started growing on their own, so we must have left some in the ground last year. When I dug them up last week some were huge, but nearly all of them have worm holes in them, how can I stop the worms eating the potatoes?

Rachel
    Posted 6 years ago #
  12. campbell ridge
    Administrator

um? do you have ducks? they eat worms lol Mine have free run in the veggie garden with the veggies netted off. We have no slugs, snails or worm problems. Just rain damage to the toms

Sarah L
    Posted 6 years ago #
  13. Hi Rachel

Was it quite new ground? Wire worm are a problem when grass is first turned over into a veg garden - & they make nasty worm holes. They go away once the garden has been used a bit.
    TopVeg

Posted 6 years ago #
  14. quax

Well it's not particularly new ground. It was an area full of weeds and stinging nettles which we cleared and put compost on. We planted potatoes last year and didn't get a brilliant crop, then this year they just grew by themselves. I think the ground gets quite wet in that area, maybe this is why.
    Yes ducks, that's a good idea Sarah!!!!!!! Actually our ducks do wander around that area, but obviously aren't picking up enough worms!!

Rachel
    Posted 6 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.