Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Ducks

wet water and ducks

(10 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by duskhunter
  • Latest reply from duskhunter

1. duskhunter

The ducks are just in their element with all this wet ground dabbling and paddling.
    How about those of you who have got geese, do they love it as much?

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. well my ducks have gone to bed filthy I even turned the hose on them before bed time but it didnt work so extra straw went down so hope they come out clean in the morning lol

mo x
    Posted 4 years ago #
  3. dallascriftins

It is so wet I have today removed the main window from my duck shed and replaced it with 2 x2 Weld mesh to up the ventilation as the straw is getting far too wet and the shed stinks in the morning even with fresh straw

I think in the spring I am going to build an earth mound and get the shed up a foot or so then remove the floor and replace it with more galvanised mesh and then try straw or wood chips on the bare soil and let it rot down.

My Chickens hate the wet (battle of the Somme type muds out there now) and keep asking to be let out of the run so they can come up to the top garden where it is drier.

I have not got any Geese yet but I desperately want to get some or some sheep as I have an acre paddock here in North Shropshire that needs some serious eating!

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. Mama

I had Geese and yes they do love it as much as ducks but the chooks were miserable it wet and snow :(.Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 4 years ago #
  5. duskhunter

We are thinking of locating another duck house built on strong pallets so that the water runs clear of it as the current shed has been in situ many years and is slowly sinking or I think the earth is slowly washing down towards it in all these wet years as we are on a slope.

I think you need to be able to provide a good starting point every now and then - rotting down takes a very long time, too long. Perhaps the answer is a serious of residences but whenever I try to change the ducks to another shed it confuses them and they consider it very suspicious.

Meanwhile the rain has stopped and the sun is out. All ducks have made the orchard a river of lovely mud it is amazing how it will all recover in the spring though and be ready for Ray's new Steinbacher geese to 'mow'. We go to get them from Wales next week end.

Posted 4 years ago #
  6. blimey Plymouth to Wales thats quiet a journey

mo x
    Posted 4 years ago #
  7. duskhunter

Over 260 miles Mo but love knows no boundaries.

Posted 4 years ago #
  8. lol hope geese dont get car sick then

mo x
    Posted 4 years ago #
  9. dallascriftins

I actually have my duck shed up in the air it is on stilts about 6 inches off the ground and I use an old pallet as the access ramp for the ducks as they all storm out together.

my shed is all plastic and I have it off the ground as I have drainage holes in the base and I give it a good blasting with the hose once a week when changing the bedding.

It sits on what was once the base of my kids play fort with six 3x3 post driven in to the ground

I relocated the shed yesterday along side my veg plot as I have a paving slab path so no more wading through the mud

The ducks came out of the pond last might and went to where it was and just stood there perhaps they thought if the waited it would materialise.

I had to heard them over to the other side of the paddock

This evening they knew where it was and I only had to call them over when it was locking up time.

Posted 4 years ago #
  10. duskhunter

Really like the sound of your plastic shed was it expensive and what size is it?
    Also great thinking to have the ducks near the veg patch both for slugs and instant manure.
    You obviously thought it all out before you got your ducks whereas we are using what was already in situ from a pony.
    So it sounds as though it works well raised off the ground - do you have a bit of a run on it too?
    I can just imagine them all going to their normal spot and the looks on their faces when their house was gone they have such character.

Posted 4 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.