Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Farming

Lambing and calves

(4 posts)

1. Mama

Hello Sara, Just watched the lambing help video and also the new calves. Ab Fab. We once helped our french farmer with a birth of a calf.It was amazing, brought tears to our eyes. Thank you for such a lovely site and all info from friends. Sure it brings everyone closer to the things that really matter. After children and hubbies of course!!!!! Mama.

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  2. Hi Mama,
    I am delighted that you liked the lambing and calving video. I always find it amazing to see animals being born! Did the French farmer use a calving stick, now that would really bring tears to your eyes! We have one and have to use it sometimes to help the calf out safely and quickly.
    Hope all ok in the world of embden geese!
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  3. Hi Sara

Wasn't Lambing Live amazing - so many people were hooked.

Please can you tell me what a calving stick is - sounds gruesome.

TopVeg

Posted 7 years ago #
  4. Mama

Hi Sara, No he did not use a calving stick ,he put his arm up as far as his shoulder whilst my hubby held on to the cow with a rope that was fastened to the horns and lashed round a tree. The calf was breach and he was trying to turn it manually .He then roped the feet, him and I pulled out the calf . Not for the sqeamish!!!!My first lesson in calving. One nice thing about living in the country is you can be called on to help out with anything.!!!!
    Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.