Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Pigs

Piglets For Fair only 20 pounds

(14 posts)

1. Keyley

Hi my name is Keyley I am in my local 4-H club and I was wondering with my pigs being 20 pounds and 6 weeks on march 18th are they too young to be taken from their mother? the people that I am getting them from wants them gone now..... Should I bottle feed them until they are 12 to 16 weeks?

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. Hi Keyley,

Piglets can be weaned from 6 weeks especially if they are commercial pigs. Generally pigs are weaned at about 8 weeks.
    I have weaned piglets at 6 weeks once and more often I wean at 8 weeks. the reason I prefer 8 weeks is the sows are less likely to get mastitis.
    If your piglets are being weaned at 6 weeks the piglets will need to have a creep feed which they should have been given whilst they are still with the sow and taking her milk. This is so when they no longer have the sows milk they will be used to eating the creep feed. Chaning a piglets diet too quickly can lead to scours, diahrea.
    If you can buy some food from the people you are getting them from so that your piglets get the same food when they come to you then this is a good idea.
    Hope you get sorted.
    What breed are the pigs and how many are you getting?
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  3. Keyley

Thank You Sara, I am getting two pigs a gilt and a barrow I think they are Hamp/york cross.

Keyley

Posted 9 years ago #
  4. Hi Keyley,
    I look forward to hearing all about your gilt and barrow. Am I right in thinking that a barrow is a male pig that has been castrated?
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  5. Keyley

Yes, you are right.....hehe I schooled a teacher on animals when she was fresh out of college....I wasnt trying to but she got into an interest of mine. My gilt's name is Goosey and my barrow's name is Ben

Posted 9 years ago #
  6. Hi Keyley,
    Just wondered where you are in the world as I don't think that barrow is a term used in the UK very often but could be wrong!
    I like the names of your pigs. Do you have photos of your pigs?
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  7. Keyley

I am from Washington State and ya i do

Posted 9 years ago #
  8. Hi Keyley,
    I thought you were in the US. I look forward to hearing about pig keeping abroad to see how if differes from the UK. I will email you if you would like to have some photos of your pigs added here.
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  9. Keyley

Ok....it will be fun and sure you can email me for a picture of the pigs

Posted 9 years ago #
  10. Hi Keyley,
    Thanks for sending the pictures of your lovely pigs.

Which is Ben and which is Goosey? Is Ben the one with the black markings on back?

Thanks for sharing. It's interesting to see the Hampshire/York cross. do they need to have suntan cream on when it is sunny as they have pink skin?
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  11. Keyley

Goosey is the one who has the markings on the back. Ben is the plain white one....and no they dont have suntan cream on sunny days....should i put suntan cream on them? and I cant get near them right now....

Posted 9 years ago #
  12. Hi Keyley,

If you cannot get near them then make sure that they have some shade from the sun as pigs cannot sweat and so get too hot and can suffer from heatstroke as well as sunburn.

You can make them a mud wallow area which will help to cool them down as well. Just pour some water onto the floor and they will start to root about in it and create a mud wallow so they can lie in the muddy water which cools them down.

Light coloured and pinked skinned pigs are particularly susceptible to sunburn.

http://farmingfriends.com/pigs-can-suffer-sunburn-heatstroke/

Hope this helps.
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  13. Keyley

Okay, Thank You....They have shade and also it hasnt been that hot here mainly windy and cloudy

Posted 9 years ago #
  14. jennie

Ive nver heard the term barrow either how strange but funny we have just borrowed a boar for first time to our gilts wow what a noise. weve done lambing and chickens but pigs is our first time so started with three we were raising them for meat for our own freezer but hubby got attached so now we are going to have piglets from them instead. so got lots of reading up to do.

Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.