Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Incubating and Hatching Eggs

Poultry Egg Candler

(29 posts)

1. Hi All,

Do any of you use a poultry egg candler and if so what do you think about it? I would like to buy one and wondered which is the best make/brand?

I have already been recommended the Solway LED. Just wondered if there were any others that were good.

I am thinking of getting a high intensity one as I have quail eggs.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  2. yanky

Hi Sara, I bought the Poultry magazine this month & there were loads for sale in there. It might be a good place to try if someone gives you some ideas on which are best!
    Yan.

Posted 7 years ago #
  3. Jo C

Hi Sara
    I've used candlers when the eggs are from 10 days plus they are really good, but the thick shells sometimes do not always shine through the egg, but definately worth getting one.

Posted 7 years ago #
  4. campbell ridge
    Administrator

i hold my eggs up to a bright sunny window or use a bright torch with a piece of card over with an agg shape cut out.

Sarah L
    Posted 7 years ago #
  5. fagusabello

Actually the easiest candler is a hole cut in thick paper/cardboard taped to a flashlight. The hole should be just smaller than the egg. Then just turn off the room lights (dark room) and on the flashlight. Then rotate the egg slowly and view what's cooking.

Here are some candlers and what you're looking for...
    http://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-candling.html
    http://shilala.homestead.com/candling.html

Posted 7 years ago #
  6. Kathryn

I use a Brinsea Candler and it is much better if you are trying to candle a number of eggs, very good value at around £15.

(Don't worry about whether the results will be clear after a few hatches - you'll be an expert!)

Jim (K's Hubby)

Posted 7 years ago #
  7. Hi All,
    Thank you so much for your advice and letting me know what you use. I'll let you know which I decide to get and I might even make one myself as well!
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  8. Mama

Sara, I made my candler form a toilet roll holder, cut a v at the bottom and sellotaped it round a maglite.

I can clearly see what is inside the egg not a gosling but half the egg is dark and can also see the air sack. Did it in the house and it was not really dark but it was very clear to see. Regards, Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  9. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi Mama, Im not quite sure what you mean. Where do you put the egg? on the V or in the toilet roll and does the torch go all the way in? Does the egg go all the way in?
    Sorry if I appear thick. :)
    My hole in card and torch technique works ok but I'm intrigued.
    Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 7 years ago #
  10. Mama

Hi Sarah, I cut a v in the bottom of the toilet roll holder to make it smaller so I can overlap it and fasten it tight. It is longer than the torch so the egg sits on top of the holder. Tell me about your hole in card please. Sorry for the bad explanation, Regards Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  11. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Thanks, my husband managed to work it out for me. I will try that.
    What I did last time was had a black plastic food tray with egg shape cut out and then sat this on a large torch in a darkened room.

I'm not into spending money where unecessary and am quite happy with a Heath Robinson approach to most things :)

Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 7 years ago #
  12. Mama

You would think you were from Yorkshire Sarah. Penny in the pocket is worth more than a pound you don't have. Glad to hear if you don't need to spend it why would you.I do too love Heath Robinson stuff as long as it works , why not . Can I just say that myself nor any other members I am sure ,would think you thick. You are a fountain of info and as for me personally,I really appreciate your input.My explanation was not too good. I can not do it in a dark room as I do not have long with the eggs , Just stood in the corner of the Goose house. Regards Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  13. Hi Sarah and Mama,
    Could you both photograph your homemade candlers and I can add the photos to your explanations of how to make them and that might help others to make them!
    Sounds good making it yourself and saving some pennies!
    Best Wishes
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  14. quax

Yes please to the photos, I've saved myself a toilet roll holder, I'm poised ready to create my first egg candler!
    Rachel

Rachel
    Posted 7 years ago #
  15. campbell ridge
    Administrator

I have sent mine to Sara a few hours ago, so perhaps she hasnt got internet atm.

Sarah L
    Posted 7 years ago #
  16. Mama

Hi All ,I have sent my Heath Robinson candler pic as Sarah has . You do not need to spend a lot of money but some may feel more confident with a kosha one.I do have a mini maglite which is quite strong, which was given to me by by lovely friend who has the owls nesting . I could see everything which was quite amazing as I did not think it would work but it does. Regards Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  17. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi Sara Did you get mine and Mama's candling pictures?

Sarah L
    Posted 7 years ago #
  18. Hi Sarah and Mama,

Yes I did get your pictures they are on my to do list!

Just going to add them now. - In the words of Gordon Ramsey - home-made candler photos uploaded - done! Please see above.

Thanks for sharing them with us, they both look great.
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  19. campbell ridge
    Administrator

I think Mama's looks the biz. i shall try that myself.

Sarah L
    Posted 7 years ago #
  20. Mama

Sarah, How bizare . Big is beautiful as they say . I thought yours looked the biz but how you get the eggs from a semi hostile goose ummm.I have already got a black plastic food tray .She was off the nest this pm so had another look two eggs are no good, one was broken and the other smelly. Now we are down to two and her foot looks a couple of days off ready to re-lance . What bad timing but hey ho. Shall be so glad when she is better . Best wishes Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  21. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Oh yes, getting Grace's foot better is what's most important and she's demonstrated she is a stayer for next time if the remaining two don't make it.
    My campbell comes off the nest 3 times a day for a dip in the bath and good feed. So thats when I will candle them in a week or so.
    S

Sarah L
    Posted 7 years ago #
  22. Mama

Can't wait Sarah for your news , Grace comes off sometimes twice a day but then I have to see her and things are a bit frantic at the mo. Hubby is unaware of anything and I am cleaning like a banshee, not howling YET. I saw the veins today and am sure one was moving inside the egg. hope I am not imagining this . Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  23. quax

Both of these candlers look great, think I might try both, but I like the idea of putting the black tray over the torch which gives you two hands free to turn it around.
    Excellent!!
    Rachel

Rachel
    Posted 7 years ago #
  24. cor blimey its all so simple yet all so complicated lol x

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  25. Mama

Hi All, I just sit the egg in the top of the toilet roll and swivel it, I could see the veins and the air sac and the growing gosling. I too shall give Sarah's a try , it looks good .For those who incubate it may be the better one . I have to stand huddled in a corner of the house whilst she if off the nest.Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  26. campbell ridge
    Administrator

its only cos i have a huge bright torch, just dont make the hole too big so the light has to go into the egg.
    I picked up 3 or 4 from the nest this morning and i could see the darker part through the shell just holding it up to the doorway. Who needs a candler? lol
    S

Sarah L
    Posted 7 years ago #
  27. Mama

Stop showing off, Rocket Scientist Sarah. Tee Hee. Best wishes Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  28. The eggs have started to pip so won't be candling the eggs!!!

Posted 3 weeks ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.