Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Ducks

Muscovy duck sitting on eggs

(2 posts)

1. Hi All,

Vanessa has emailed about her muscovy duck.

"I just have a question and couldn't figure out how to use the forum. We have two Muscovy ducks that have laid a clutch of about 15 eggs. She has been sitting on them for about 36 days. The problem is we had to move her and she got off the nest for about 5 days but has decided to sit on them again. She was off the nest daily from about the 31st day until the 35th day. I was just wondering if there is a chance the eggs will still hatch or if her going back to them is pointless. Could someone help us figure this out. I read that it can be that the eggs hatch a week late so is there still a chance they will hatch because of the time she has been sitting or because she left the nest for those days they will no longer hatch? thanks for your help with this."

Hi Vanessa, if she is still sitting then there is a chance that some of the eggs may hatch. Ducks can feel movement inside the eggs and if they can't feel anything then they will leave the nest for good. As long as she continues to sit there is a chance the eggs could hatch. Do you have an incubator to transfer the eggs to, if she does decide to leave the nest for good? If she does leave the nest then you could candle the eggs to see what is happening inside. Good luck with the hatch and let us know how you get on.
    kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. duskhunter

Sorry Vanessa, nothing useful to say but will be interested to know what happens please. Good luck.

Posted 4 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.