Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Hens

Any ideas

(18 posts)

Tags:

1. yanky

Hi Everyone
    My white leghorn Foggie is looking unwell. I have noticed she hasn't been right for a while I think but then she seems to pick herself up & seems ok. However she doesn't seem ok today or wasn't yesterday when I noticed her!! She comes out in the morning & gets to a quiet corner & sleeps! She does a lot of that then wanders about pecking for a while then seems to stop in middle of garden & sleeps again!
    She is hunched & feathers look blown out. Her dropping this morning was watery flecked with white. Her crest, floppy anyway in leghorns isn't as bright red as it was & she moves around slowly & not with the others.
    Does anyone have any bright ideas as to what could be wrong? She isn't laying & hasn't since about November. Only two of my younger hens laying at present!
    Thanks
    Yan.

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. Hi Yan,
    Has she got worms? The problem with hens is that when you see them looking ill they have probably been poorly for quite some time. Also alot of the symptoms are the same for different illnesses.
    Could you rig up a heat lamp and area for her so that she is warm so that if she is fighting an illness she doesn't have to use energy to keep warm aswell. How does her crop feel and also near her vent area?I'll find the link about hens droppings and illnesses and post it. Hope she gets better soon.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. yanky

Hi Sara
    How are you & the baby?
    Well caught her this morning. She looked really ill. She is as thin as a stick. Vent ok crop empty & not egg bound that I can feel. When I put herin the box & came back with food & water I thought she was dead! However she perked up & started to peck at the food. I think she is starving!!
    In two minds on what to do. She def is unwell with something but know if I take her to the vet they'll just say to put her down. I want her to have the best chance but don't know what to do??
    Yan

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. Devon Cream

Yanky - I feel for you. It is so worrying when a member of our livestock is obviously unwell.

I would try to give her a dose of VermX in her food. Also, when we had a poorly hen, we made the poultry pellets into a mash for her, together with a few small grains of shell. If the pieces are too big, she is not going to enjoy eating them and I think that you are right and that she is starving.

Incidentally, what water have you been using? Only, a poorly bird will find it hard to deal with any impurities and that includes chlorine. With our first poorly bird, we gave her a bottled water and glycerine mix.

I forgot to mention though that when we first realised we had a poorly bird we were so worried that she would not last the night that for a treat we found and gave her some small slugs which she did manage to eat and then as a reward for lasting the night we gave her some more!

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. yanky

Hi Devon Cream
    That made me laugh! Thanks for that. Just before I checked the forum I gave her some small pieces of soaked wholemeal bread & poultry grain which she has eaten half of! She is also drinking. Our water is really pure here-from a loch nearby & don't believe there is any chlorine in it but that's a good tip. I will put vermeX in her food. She has been poo-ing & it alternates between runny green & solid green & white (sorry)! I have phoned an avian vet for advice & she is to phone back at some point. Also just found a heat lamp so that's in with her too!
    The ducks are loving snails but I'll find some of the copious slugs & see if she wants them.
    Sorry cant help with your pig. That sounds a right situation you have there! I'm sure someone will help soon-lots of clever people on here! Will keep you posted & thanks for advice!
    Yan

Posted 4 years ago #
  6. Hi Yan,

I am good thank you and Thomas, my baby boy is wonderful, he is growing fast and is now 6 months old.

I have googled green droppings and found an excellent site that goes through what the illness may be due to colour of droppings.
    http://happyhenhouse.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=poop&action=display&thread=6492
    Hope this helps.
    Kind regards
    Sara

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. yanky

Hi Sara
    So glad Thomas is doing well You will have your hands even fuller than usual!
    That is a really good site-thanks. I wonder if they are bile stained droppings from lack of food intake for other reasons! I have an appt with vet tomorrow afternoon as I really need to know if she can be treated! Watch this space!
    Thanks again
    Yan.

Posted 4 years ago #
  8. Devon Cream

Hi Yan - just have to ask - how is your Foggie now?

Dev

Posted 4 years ago #
  9. yanky

Oh hi Devon Cream
    I have just come on to give an update & found your post.
    Well took her to the vet on Tuesday & they couldn't find any lumps & bumps but asked me did I want to give her a shot of antibiotic to see if it worked??? I said yes & they charged £20 for the privilege! I really didn't know what to do with her as she wasn't eating or drinking & daughter who's a vet in Canada was bending my ear that she should be wormed & more antibiotics. So yesterday I took her to our vet where I discovered they have this new guy who deals with hens. He was great. Reckoned the first thing to do was worm her & stick her on more antibiotics. He wasn't too hopeful as said she is pretty weak but gave me lots of good info. She was a little better I thought last night. I have been giving her water at regular intervals & think she is now taking some food. Also giving her a wee drop of herbal complan type stuff I got at the earth food shop. Any other ideas would be good. Don't think she's up to the slugs yet tho.
    I have another day of antibiotics & have to reform her in a week
    I had no idea worms made them so ill (if that is what indeed she has)
    Yan.

Posted 4 years ago #
  10. Devon Cream

Yan- If I were you I would start feeling hopeful. I too believe that she has had/is having a bad case of worms.

And it is absolutely miraculous what the right antibiotic can do to someone/something!

I religiously fed the chickens with the right dosage for the number of chickens and it was a long time before I realised that some of the hens so liked the Vermx that they would grab it all before the weaker ones could get a proper look in. And it did not seem to matter how many feeders I had!

Here's hoping!

Posted 4 years ago #
  11. yanky

Well if she's going to recover I think it's going to be a VERY slow progress! She is def brighter today but very weak & still quote hunched & sleeping a lot. I got her out in the conservatory today to stretch her legs as the box isn't huge . She tottered down to the door & then found a corner z& fell asleep. I just put her back in the box. She was really enjoying the sunshine. I am still syringing water into her beak three times a day just so I know she is keeping hydrated so we'll see.
    Interesting fact when I told the vet I was using vermeX to worm he admitted to not knowing what it was so he had googled it & found it interesting that the company don't say it's a wormer just that it promotes good bowel health!! He gave her panacur. Thought that quite interesting as I had always used it as a wormer!!
    Yan

Posted 4 years ago #
  12. Devon Cream

That bit about Verm-x is extremely interesting and definitely not something I had heard before. It was always recommended to me for my poultry and the one for pigs and I am absolutely gob-smacked to learn that my livestock might still get worms!

Thanks Yan. Is panacur a prescription job?

Posted 4 years ago #
  13. yanky

Must admit I was a bit gobsmacked too!! Yes panacur prescription but you only need to do it twice a year for hens anyway! I have had to buy it in a big tub which I think is 20 odd pounds but lasts for ages & if you have other livestock then it wouldn't be such a big deal. You also can eat the eggs when treated!
    I'm wondering if you could give vermeX alongside to give good bowel health too? It would be interesting to know what other forum members think as I know a lot of you use vermeX.
    Yan

Posted 4 years ago #
  14. yanky

Got that wrong DC.
    The acute worms in Foggie treated with Panacur. Usual dosing is with Flubenvet1%!
    You put it in their food for 7 days. Not quite sure of price as I seem to be in credit with vet so it caused a bit of confusion!!
    Yan

Posted 4 years ago #
  15. Devon Cream

Flubenvet? Isn't that the one that is mentioned in some adverts for chicken pellets? And aren't those pellets supposed to be in short supply at the moment?
    DC

Posted 4 years ago #
  16. yanky

Not sure about that??? Do you mean that they are already in the chicken pellets as a given dose? That would be a great idea but I have the tub to measure out!! Bit of pain but good if it stops the worm prob!!
    Yan

Posted 4 years ago #
  17. yanky

Gosh DC just googled & you're right they are incorporated in the pellets. That's a great idea but mine eat mash. Don't suppose it matters tho. It would be a good way of getting it evenly distributed ! The powder sounds a bit of a nightmare but willing to do it. Have you heard of any contra-indications to them?
    Yan.

Posted 4 years ago #
  18. yanky

Foggie coming on slow but sure! What a difference in her. She is eating & drinking & preening! I think there's hope!
    Yan

Posted 4 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.