Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Ducks

Duckling leg injury

(4 posts)

1. Ghent

I had recently bought a mallard and two pekins from a supply store. After getting out of there pool which was kinda cold, today I noticed one just lying in the hay while the others stood up and were preening. After getting out he hobbled around not standing up like his leg was hurt. He could have gotten injured falling of a brick in the pool. If it is Brocken what could I do to treat it?

George
    Posted 4 years ago #
  2. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi George you could splint it if it is broken. I doubt that it is though, it may have twisted it on the brick or got it caught under it and wrenched it free causing a sprain so perhaps this needs a bit of adjustment to make sure it is safe for them. The best cure for any duck related problem is swimming - not to much walking but always make sure they can get in and out of the pool on their own and a dry place to get warm after the swim.
    You don't say how old they are, this one may be too small for the step you have built.

Sarah L
    Posted 4 years ago #
  3. Ghent

Thanks for the information, today it seems to be doing better. They are now two weeks old.

George
    Posted 4 years ago #
  4. 2 weeks old is very young to be swimming George when not been brought up by their mum especially as you say the water is cold, i'd be more inclinded to keep them out of water for a few more weeks yet if the weather is cold there

mo x
    Posted 4 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.