Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Ducks

Difference between Pekin and German Pekin ducks

(4 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by pinkpoultry
  • Latest reply from pinkpoultry

1. pinkpoultry

Hi guys!
    I love pekin ducks, I think they are lovely with their chubby little cheeks and upright stance. I purchased a "pair" of German Pekins but they just look like small white Campbell's to me, nothing like the Pekins I was after.
    I have googled and looked on eBay and people seem to call the same birds German Pekins or Pekins.
    Do any of you know the true facts!?
    (For the record, can't find Pekins anywhere near me!!)
    Thank you, hope your all well.
    Love Laura and the gang. Xxx

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. Hi Laura,
    I haven't ever had pekin ducks so will have a look in my books to see if there is anything. Hope you and yours are all well.
    Do you have any guinea fowl eggs?
    Thomas loves his crocheted blanket.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Pekin ducks as a pure breed are quite rare now. They are a large duck and have been mostly crossed with the aylesbury to produce a better table bird. americans call them jumbo pekins. I think what you have is probably what you say you have, or a cherry valley, smaller but also bred for it's meat.

Sarah L
    Posted 4 years ago #
  4. pinkpoultry

I bought them as German Pekins-but I did buy then as a pair and ended up with 2 drakes... So they could be anything!!
    Sara-I have no idea how guinea fowl still exist???? What do they do with their eggs, short of laying them in the tree I have Zero idea where they go? Think I've seen a handful from them! My favourite was right in the middle of the lawn! Not very private! Haha.
    I am going to incubate some Sir Francis eggs!!! Aww mini sir Francis drakes-well hopefully they will be mostly girls! He is such a sweetie, he is lovely to his ladies. Did u notice that one of the ducks lays a blue tinted egg!? I don't know which one it is but she mustn't be pure khaki Campbell? I love her all the same whoever it is! :) they are all doing fine though-Duffy is still always last! Haha. Bless her, she has a little bit of thinning going on around her neck-need a scarf! Lol.
    Hope all is good with everyone? Xxxxxx

Posted 3 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.