Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Ducks

Drake problems :/ NEED URGENT HELP!!

(11 posts)

1. ani

hi guys, haven't posted in a while!

any way, i have some very bad news. One of my female ducks was killed this morning, and i was very upset at the fact i was the one to find her whilst attempting to move some chickens. We aren't sure how she died, as there was no bite marks ruling out cat or fox. What i do know is our drake is very heavy handed and caused this duck to go blind in one eye. Do you think he might have killed her? He has also done damage to 2 of my new Call/Campbell females. one of them has some serious damage to her eye. it is red raw and all her feathers around her eye are gone. Her eyelid is pretty much destroyed and she has a small hole that she can see through. Luckily, her eye is fine underneath. She is sitting on some eggs at the moment, so she is in a separate house in the pen. I would like to know if there is ANYTHING i can do to stop this drake as this is really a LAST resort before i have to get rid of him, so please IF YOU HAVE ANY HELP OR TIPS FOR ME, REPLY AS I REALLY DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO LOOSE HIM TOO. thank you every one...

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. Hi Ani, So sorry to hear this. I suppose the drake could have been over zealous and it could have been too much for her. I am notsure what to suggest. I suppose you could separate the other injured ducks from him until they are better. Is he like this all year round or just as the breeding season gets under way?
    Hope he calms down.
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. oh how I wish we could castrate drakes, I have 2 and once more mayhem has broken out as both boys want to claim each girl we havnt had injuries but eye damage is my biggest fear, last summer I kept both drakes happy together away from the girls but that would be so unfair for a single drake, im not sure it would be fare to pass him on to someone else though, is he a bigger breed drake than your girls ? would he be better with a bigger girl kept as a pair maybe away from your smaller ducks

mo x
    Posted 3 years ago #
  4. ani

well now i have a small duck with a bloody face as he has got hold of her :( i am afraid that if i dont get any drastic help i will have to re-home him... I have spent the last 3 hours crying as i have had such a bad weekend with my ducks (would just like to say i am only 14, so this is very hard as i am very attached to my pets) and I am devastated. I have now got a duck who is badly injured and very scared. I have attempted to clean her eye but she was so stressed i left her to calm down in a clean cage. She has water and i gave her some grass as she loves it. I am torn between keeping the girls or starting again with some new girlies... please help me as i am so upset words cant describe it... :'( xxxx many thankssss xxxxxx

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. duskhunter

Hi Ani,
    If you don't separate your drake from the gils he will just carry on doing damage. The small ducks will be most prone to it and it is not only heartbreaking it is not fair on the girls. It is his natural instinct of course but I had a drake drown two girls in breeding season so I separate them now unless I want to hatch eggs and even then I separate them after a while as the drakes can be just so heavy footed/beaked whatever the girls are entitled to live without injury from him. My girls go and sit the other side of the wire netting to keep the drakes company and then they are let back together around the end of October till about the end of Feb when it all starts again.

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. ani this has all been a shock for you and fully understand your upset, ok you are only 14 im 55 and still gets frustrated trying to keep them all happy and safe, they are clearly your pets but you are still a child you need help from your parents to try and sort this problem, you say you need drastic help we can only tell you what we do they need to sort this for you

your drake is the issue, I see no point in getting rid of the girls you have and getting more, im not sure where you home your ducks but for now I suggest he is put on his own to give you time to think what to do, this can't carry on like this one dead duck is enough :(
    I've just looked back and seen you had the same problem last year, what did you do then ?

mo x
    Posted 3 years ago #
  7. ani

sorry, havent been on for a while :) we have sorted the problem (mostly.) do ducks tend to 'mate for life' like swans or something as our drake is obsessed with our other bigger duck. he chases after us and he puffs himslf up if we go near her. the 3 smaller ones are separated, one on eggs and i will have the other 2 together soon as one was recovering from a bad eye ( which is now completely healed!) but I fear that if i did separate the drake and female he is with now, it will affect both of them. They are happy waddling about in the garden during the day and they sleep in the same house. I'm hoping we have sorted this out now, and hopefully we will have some new additions in a few weeks!

thank you all so much for putting up with me!

ani xxx

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. duskhunter

It does sound as though this has been sorted Ani. As long as he is interested in you large duck and is leaving the smaller ones you don't need to worry. Your big duck may get a bald neck if he is too passionate with her but unelss it is very sore it is not a massive problem we have often joked about making them scarves as protection agains the amorous advances of the boys!
    They are funny they do not like being apart but suffer when they are together!

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. ani

great news guys! we have now successfully hatched some ducklings out! not entirely sure how many, two at the least. I am so happy I was literally crying last night when I found them!! :D thank you for all your help!!!

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. duskhunter

Great news Ani.

Enjoy the babies before they become teenagers!

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. lovely news Ani, a word of warning though please keep your drake well away from the ducklings many members have lost ducklings to drakes

mo x
    Posted 3 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.