Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Ducks

Duck behaviour???

(5 posts)

1. yanky

Hi everyone
    I think I may be about to probably ask a really silly question!
    I have two runner ducks that are inseperable. However they do this weird thing that one gets on the others back & starts quacking loudly. That's ok when it's on dry land but tonight one had the other pinned under the water-I honestl y thought she had drowned & rushed out but she popped up quite happily & continued to swim around. Is this normal duck behaviour. Newby with ducks!!
    Thanks Yan

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. Lorna

Hi Yan

Is one of them a drake? as they like to mate in the water with the females. Or anywhere else for that matter! although the females can seem to 'mate' with each other which is more about dominance than anything else I beleive.

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. yanky

Thanks Lorna-no both ducks. I did wonder if it was a dominance thing as always same one on top. As long as one doesn't drown the other??!
    Yan

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. duskhunter

Hi Yan,
    It is amazing how long they can hold one another under without any harm being done. For peace of mind perhaps you could time them by counting how long you think she is under water. It may well not be as long as it seems and if about the same length of time or no longer than a certain time give you more peace of mind about when you are not there.

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. Hi Yan if both ducks are equal size there shouldn't be an issue of drowning, to be honest im more concerned when mine do it on land as that's a lot of weight on the lower duck, legs can get injured on land
    my girls quiet often mount each other and yes its a dominance thing

mo x
    Posted 3 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.