Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Ducks

keeping different breeds together?

(4 posts)

1. oddball

Hi everyone, whats the general opinion about keeping different breeds of ducks together? So far I've got 3 indian runners (one of which is a drake) and 2 Khaki cambells (both girls), 3 mallards (one of which is a drake) and am considering adopting 2 muskovy girls. What do you think? I'm keeping the mallards seperated from the others because wee mister drake cannot behave himself in company. He still has his 2 girls and isn't suffering in the least. Runners , cambells and muscovies will they all get along together?? They have to share the duck house at night too...
    Do muskovies really fly, and sit in trees?? Mine would have loads of grazing ground with ponds and ditches and shade, no need really to fly to the neighbours.
    At what age do muskovies start laying?? I think one of my cambells is a non-layer. She's 2 years old now and I havent had a single egg from her. She's not very happy and the runner drake is always picking on her. I've tried housing her with the mallards and there wee mister drake was ever meaner to her, so she's back with the runners.
    I'm open for any advice.
    thanks
    oddball

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. Hi Oddball,

I kept mallards, runners, khaki campbells, white campbells, buff orpington ducks and rouens together and they all got along well. They free ranged on the farm in the day time so they would all break off into their own groups and had plenty of room to run about and get away from each other if they needed to.
    I found it was more whether the males get along and they tend to group together into groups of whot they were brought up with.
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Muscovies do fly/jump and will roost in trees if you let them. I think adding them in at this late stage, they will not act as one group but still be seperate within their different breeds. Please make sure they have enough space in the duck house or provide some other houses so each can choose where they would like to be if there is friction. ie a rabbit hutch for 2-3 small ducks, or a coop etc. campbells are less tolerant of other breeds and can get bullied by the smaller mallards

Sarah L
    Posted 4 years ago #
  4. oddball

Thank-you!They have loads of space outside to avoid eachother if they so choose and in the duckhouse I'll wait up and see how it goes otherwise I can always put in 'false walls' to break the space up a bit.
    Thanks again. Oddball

Posted 4 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.