Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Wildlife

Green parrots living in the wild?

(15 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by Omegaman
  • Latest reply from Omegaman

1. Omegaman

Hi All
    While relaxing in the garden this afternoon, my attention was drawn to an unusual bird call and, on looking up, was intrigued to see two large birds flying over at about 60ft. Although they were in silhouette, I could see they had distinctive “blunt” heads and long tails making me think that they were parakeets. This would not be a complete surprise as we had seen a pair and a few singles flying round fairly regularly a few years ago. Today’s birds landed on a tree a few hundred yards away but when I managed to get some binoculars on them I could see they were parrot-like and completely green so were probably parrots and not parakeets.
    I had previously heard (after the earlier sightings) that there were colonies of parrots/parakeets living wild in the UK which had presumably escaped from captivity. Does anyone know if this is true, or if there are any such colonies in the Brentwood, Essex area? I wouldn’t have thought they could survive the winters here. If not true, perhaps these are just recent escapees so, if you have lost two green parrots, I know where they are!
    Ken

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. Mama

Hi Omegaman, Yes it is true that they live in the UK, I have read that they are becoming a pest in your part of the country and saw them on the tv. Not indiginous of course but beautiful anyway. Can you try and get a pic , that would be lovely. Regards Mama.

Goose Girl
    Posted 9 years ago #
  3. Omegaman

Hi Mama
    Thanks very much for that interesting information. I had not appreciated that they could even survive here, let alone become sufficiently common to become a pest. Amazing! I really wish I had seen the TV programme (was it recent?...perhaps it will be repeated).
    Unfortunately, when they appeared yesterday my camera was on charge so I missed them (...and the heron that flew over) but I will have the camera on a tripod in the garden all day today just in case they return. They looked beautiful through the binoculars so, as far as I am concerned, they can become a pest in my garden any time they want!
    Kind regards
    Ken

Posted 9 years ago #
  4. Mama

Hi Ken, It was on was on the BBC News and it was quite a few years ago but there is still an article about them on the internet, just type in Parrots in England. I agree with you, they can come to my garden any time, which they haven't. Do hope you can get some pics. Regards Mama.

Goose Girl
    Posted 9 years ago #
  5. Omegaman

Hi Mama
    I just googled it as you suggested. Wow...there are thousands of them living wild! I still find that incredible but I will now look for them more pro-actively. Thanks for the lead.
    They didn't come back today....shame!
    Kind regards
    Ken

Posted 9 years ago #
  6. Hi Ken,
    Sorry to hear that they didn't return. Typical when have camera nothing, when not a great potential photo moment occurs!
    Farmingfriends is on twitter and Liz one of my followers http://twitter.com/lizwicksteed saw that you had seen green parrots and wanted me to pass on that "there's a whole flock of wild green parrots near us, been here years :-)" Liz is located at Thames Ditton.
    Have a good weekend.
    Best Wishes
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  7. Omegaman

Thanks Sara, and thanks to Liz for the info.
    It still seems incredible to me that wild green parrots could be regarded as commonplace. We live and learn! I would love to get some pictures of the colony at Thames Ditton. If my parrots don't return for a photo call, perhaps I will plan a family trip to Hampton Court in the summer and see what I can spot in the surrounding area.
    Kind regards
    Ken

Posted 9 years ago #
  8. Hi Ken,
    sounds like a trip to Thames ditton will be worth it as Liz said about Saturday "Saw a couple of the parrots over by the river this morning. There are hundreds of them.Liz" http://twitter.com/lizwicksteed
    Hope you are having a good weekend.
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  9. Omegaman

Yes, I love the way Liz is so casual about it like it's an everyday event! Camera and Parrot Patrol in Thames Ditton is definitely on the cards for me. Having a great weekend thanks. We had a BBQ, and the neighbour's granddaughter was visiting and was fascinated by the ducks. Hope your dinner went well
    Kind regards
    Ken

Posted 9 years ago #
  10. Hi Ken,
    Glad you had a good weekend, BBQ sounded good. Yes the dinner went well and the salmon, avocado and qauil egg starter went down well!
    http://farmingfriends.com/salmon-avocado-and-quail-egg-salad/
    Hope Jemima is doing ok - how long till hatch?
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  11. Omegaman

Hi Sara
    Oooooh...that starter looks scrummy! Makes me embarrassed to admit I settled for a chip butty tonight (...it's a man thing!)
    Will pass the recipe to the other half and see if she will have a go!
    Jemima is still sitting and I am pacing up and down like an expectant father. Probably no bad thing as Darcy has not been seen for over a week (which worries me).
    When Jemima popped out for a feed today, I managed to get the camera in the box and got a couple of pictures. I am sure there are cracks in two of the eggs. She has been sitting for 28 days so can't be long now!
    Kind regards
    Ken (excited of Essex)

Posted 9 years ago #
  12. Mama

Hi Ken , I am with you on the expectant parent bit, how fab that she is sitting again. Should all happen tomorrow. Do hope Darcy is there somwhere,. I will be very upset if he is not. Just loved all your pics on facebook especially the the butterfly.
    Sara , Share the recipe for the Starter PLEASE. Sunday Lunch is looming , will let you know how it goes and what have we eat. Can I order quail eggs for my son in the uk ??? He is a really good cook and enjoys good food. Best Wishes Mama.

Goose Girl
    Posted 9 years ago #
  13. Hi Mama,
    The recipe is http://farmingfriends.com/salmon-avocado-and-quail-egg-salad/

Ingredients

* 1 or 2 salmon fillets grilled
    * 8 quail eggs hard boiled
    * 1 ripe avocado
    * 4 to 6 cherry tomatoes
    * one quarter of a cucumber
    * 1 little gem lettuce
    * 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
    * pinenuts

Method

1. Grill the salmon, cool and flake.
    2. Hard boil the quail eggs for 3 minutes, then cool, peel and cut in half.
    3. Cut the avocado in half, peel and chop.
    4. Shred the lettuce.
    5. Cut the tomatoes in half.
    6. Cut the cucumber into small pieces.
    7. Add all the ingredients to a salad bowl with the pinenuts and balsamic vinegar.
    8. Toss the salad so that the ingredients are mixed.

Yes you can order quail eggs for your son in the UK. It would be £5.50 as it's £2 for the 12 quail eggs plus £3.50 for P&P as I have to send them in a polystyrene container to make sure they arrive safely. Let me know if you are interested.
    Thanks for your interest in the quail eggs.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  14. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi Ken,
    parakeets are normally found near a water source and can live in very large flocks indeed. They are nice to see passing overhead but they are extremely noisy too. Ask anyone who lives near a roost. Thames Ditton and Weybridge have large colonies, you can't fail to see them if you go to Hampton court :)
    Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 9 years ago #
  15. Omegaman

Hi Sarah
    Yes, it was the noise that drew my attention to the two parrots. Noisy, (like a budgie with a sore throat)and very different from normal bird calls. Hampton Court and a river trip are now firmly in the schedule.
    Ken

Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.