Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Wildlife

Deer

(12 posts)

1. Hi All,

We often get deer down our lane and in our fields.

Hubby and I were on a bike ride to check one of our fields at the other end of the village the other night and we spotted two deer in the next field.

It's not the best photo but thought I would share it with you.
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. Mama

Hello Sara, Lovely pic of the deer, we get them in the garden and they do reak havoc on some of our trees especially the bays. I would rather have that than not see them at all. I think I have a pic of one visitng us and shall try to find it for you. Regards Mama.

Goose Girl
    Posted 9 years ago #
  3. Hi Mama,

Thanks for sending in your photo of the deer - what sort of deer is it? I think mine are roe deer.

"Hi Sara , This is the pic taken last summer he is just on the left near the tobacco barn . Stood and watched him walk up the garden. Quite lovely.
    Best wishes . Mama"
    Thanks for sharing - your garden is beautiful.
    Best wishes
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  4. yanky

Oo Mama what a gorgeous garden. We too have deer in the garden but they eat all my prize shrubs. We also have a lot of poachers & that's horrid. Lot's of cruel stuff goes on.
    Yan

Posted 9 years ago #
  5. Mama

Hi Sara , I think he is red but we do get roe deer here also.Wouldn't miss is for anything. Regards Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 9 years ago #
  6. sallie

Hi Mama,
    Does the deer have a white chin and two white spots below the nostrils? If so it is a Roe. Red are large and only wild in Scotland but I don't know the situation with them in France. I have a friend who ran a deer park and have often gone round it. They have Red, Fallow, Sika, Barasinga & Pere David, but no Roe. Have never seen a wild Red in South East England but we do get Fallow, Roe and the odd Sika. Did my DSC so had to know all the breed identification stuff!

Your garden looks so lush, mine resembles a wasteland with all the dogs mooching about on the lawn. Will send Sara some pictures of the deer park so you can all see them.
    Best wishes
    Sallie.

Posted 9 years ago #
  7. Mama

Hi Sallie, No he did not have the white which makes me think he is a red and a juvenile. They are wild here as we do not have them in farms. They are considered a pest and there is a hunting season which is respected, thank fully. The poor farmers here loose a bit of maize due to them and wild boar. I know they have to make a living but they even trap red squirrel, magpies and crows. Not our scene but when in rome ,we do not do what the romans do and keep mum about anything which passes through our land even though we like our neighbours.Going for Sunday lunch this weekend with them , it may be deer or boar !!!!!. Am impressed with your knowledge on the breeds. We do have them in East Yokshire at farms , my son sent me a pic yesterdy of them at Normanby Hall. Look forward to your pics. Regards Mama.

Goose Girl
    Posted 9 years ago #
  8. sallie

Hi Mama,
    Lots of farmers here are desperate about the deer as we have so many. Ashdown Forest only a mile away and that is swarming with deer. Do approve of crow and magpie traps but not keen on the red squirrel trapping. Luckily protected here. Grey squirrels are a pest and I do reduce the ranks if any come into the garden. Will find photos and send to Sara for the forum.

Best wishes and enjoy you lunch.
    Sallie.

Posted 9 years ago #
  9. Hi All,

Sallie has sent me some photos of the deer she sees in the field and at Wadhurst Park.

Deer-in-field-next-to-horse

Deer at Wadhurst Park

Deer at Wadhurst Park

Deer at Wadhurst Park

Thanks so much for sharing these photos, lovely to see so many deer in the wild.
    Have a good weekend.
    Best Wishes
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  10. sallie

Hi All, Sorry deer are mere specks on the horizon, will take some more when I go and visit David and Wadhurst Park. May be able to get some from his house as he overlooks the park. Will try and get some of each species.

The ones in the first photo are definately Fallow.

best wishes
    Sallie.

Posted 9 years ago #
  11. Mama

Look forward to some more pics Sallie but these are lovely. Saw a roe deer yesterday in the garden . regards mama.

Goose Girl
    Posted 9 years ago #
  12. Hi All,

We have at least 5 roe deer up the lane and my hubby often sees them but I rarely do, humph!

Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.