Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Wildlife

Snipe.

(6 posts)

1. yanky

Hi All,
    Isn't this just a fantastic time of year? Have had so many fantastic walks of discovery over the last few weeks. One of the really interesting ones was hearing a sort of singing noise the other day. All I could see in the sky was the snipe who's nesting site the dogs & I disturb every day. On closer inspection the noise was coming from it. Turns out it is their mating display & occurs when the male spreads its tail feathers & goes into a dive. It has been likened to a goat bleating. Has anyone else encountered this?
    Yan.

Posted 7 years ago #
  2. Hi Yan,
    I don't think that I have seen a snipe before. It's interesting to hear about their behaviour. I will look up the snipe - just looked them up and wow they have a long beak, wouldn't want to disturb a female snipe sitting on her nest as she would snipe at you with her long beak!!!
    Hope you are having a good week.
    kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  3. sallie

Hi Yanky,
    We have a snipe in the 30 acre field and it is lovely to watch its flight if the dogs disturb it. Have sheep in the field at the moment so hope it doesn't mind them wandering about.

Best wishes
    Sallie.

Posted 7 years ago #
  4. Hi Yan and Sallie,

I have just googled Snipe and found this page which is interesting http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/s/snipe/index.aspx and tells me alot about snipe and what they look like.

Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  5. yanky

Hi everyone--been away so just noticed this. They are really interesting birds aren't they. We have lots as we have an old sand quarry across from us. here are also loads of sand martins which have hundreds of holes in one of the old sandy banks. It's almost turned into a mini nature reserve as parts of it are wetland (ducks lapwing, snipe, plover & heron) & hares, skylarks,foxes & wheatears (at the moment) on the drier bits. It's always evolving & I love it.
    Have you heard the snipe display call Sallie----amazing!!
    Yan

Posted 7 years ago #
  6. Hi Yan,
    the sand quarry sounds a wonderful wildlife haven. It is such a privilege to observe wonderful wildlife.
    Hope you and your animals are well.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.