Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Wildlife

Bird nests in the garden

(10 posts)

Tags:

1. Omegaman

Hi All
    Nesting time seems to be at it's peak now so yesterday I went around my back garden to make an inventory of what we have this year.
    In addition to Jemima (our wild Mallard) sitting on her 15 eggs on the pond, we have Blue Tits nesting in the Tit-box, a Chaffinch sitting on 4 eggs in a conifer, a Robin feeding at least 2 youngsters in the ivy, Pigeons nesting high in another conifer, and a Blackbird currently building a nest in our honeysuckle. The jury is still out on a possible Sparrow's nest in a laurel hedge and a Blackbird's nest in the front garden. I managed to get a picture of the Chaffinch eggs when she was away, and a picture of one of the young Robins. Isn't nature wonderful!!!
    Has anyone else got nests in their gardens or smallholdings? How about your Barn Owl Sara?
    Regards
    Ken

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. Mama

Hi Ken, Yes it all wonderful, We have blue tits , Hoopoes , Jays , blackbirds , redstarts , black red starts and a golden oriole plus maybe a tawny owl next door in a walnut tree all nesting. My pal has now seen two owls every morning about 6am in the tree which has a huge hole on one side. Here's hopeing. The cuckoo is singing UMMM.Have not been to look at the barn owl as we are very busy at the moment, just put up a pergola in 29 degs , PHEW .Do hope Sara has seen hers . Shame my geese are not doing the same as all the other birds !!! Regards Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 9 years ago #
  3. yanky

Hi everyone. Yes I think this time of year is just so special. Loads of nesting birds but maybe our claim to fame this year is the buzzard nesting in the wood opposite. We had great excitement last year as a tawny owl nested in our owl box. She had one chick which I was amazingly lucky enough to see leave the nest, hit the ground & waddle off but this year despite seeing her sitting on the edge in February the box has been taken over by two jackdaws this year. Quite strange because we were told that only owls & stock doves are able to get out of the deep hole of an owl box. Oh well jackdaws maybe not so exciting but they are funny with there antics!
    Happy watching
    Yan.

Posted 9 years ago #
  4. Omegaman

Hi Mama, Hi Yan
    Wow...that's an impressive line-up
    The Hoopoe is exotic enough, but I would be over the moon if I saw a Golden Oriole. Such beautiful birds. I can see why these birds like your garden with temperatures so high.
    Here in the UK, Buzzards always interest me. I love the way they soar effortlessly on "V" configured wings. I look forward to seeing them when I visit my daughter in the west country but here in Essex I have to content myself with random high overflys (I'm usually alerted by the ducks)or just one that infrequently visits a local field. You are so lucky, Yan, to have them nesting nearby.
    .....and you are both so lucky with your owls. I never see them.
    Regards
    Ken

Posted 9 years ago #
  5. JackandVera

Wow Ken and Mama, your list of birds is really impressive. Can't boast of anything like that here in Devon but we are very excited this year as we have 3 pairs of house sparrows nesting in the boxes on our walls. Loads of blackbirds and blue tits as well, but they are commonplace here now. The state of some of the blackbirds that come on the patio for the sultanas is hilarious ! The sultanas are an easy source of food for them when they are feeding and we get through kilos of them.
    Jean

Posted 9 years ago #
  6. Mama

Great news , The Tawny owl in my friends walnut tree has laid six eggs in the nest. They watch the owls every day bobbing in and out , how lucky they are to see all this . So envious as we have not seen them yet. Hope they can get some pics .
    Jackandvera , it does not matter what species we have as long as we have them. They are still lovely to see. What lucky blackbirds to be feasting on sultanas, if you saw the price of them here!!!! but I still make fruit cake ,not for the birds of course. Regards Mama.

Goose Girl
    Posted 9 years ago #
  7. yanky

That is just fantastic Mama. How did she manage to see the eggs. Has she got a camera in the box??
    Yan.

Posted 9 years ago #
  8. Mama

Hello Yan, No camera , they put up a ladder to cut off a dead branch and spotted the nest . Needless to say the ladder came down pretty quick and the dead branch is still there. they are having a new roof done at the moment and are worried that all the activity will put the owls off, do hope not. Today they tell me the barn owl is also nesting in a box which is quite high up a stone barn. It has an interior door so they will take a peak in there soon. Will let you know. Best wishes to you and the lovely duckies and guineas. Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 9 years ago #
  9. Omegaman

Soooooo lucky having owls nesting. You have to get some pictures Mama!
    Great to hear about Jean's three pairs of nesting sparrows too. They are becoming far less common these days so it's good that you are helping to get the numbers back up. Ken

Posted 9 years ago #
  10. Hi All,

We seem to have alot of blackbird chicks fledging at the moment. We have a blackbird nest in the conifers and one in a holly tree in the front garden. One of the blackbird chicks flew onto the kitchen window ledge yesterday and I got a good look but no photo!
    Hope all well.
    Best Wishes
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.