Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Ducks

Duck treats

(54 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by Omegaman
  • Latest reply from Pastordot

Tags:

1. Omegaman

Having recently read with interest Jean's story about Blackbirds loving sultanas, and having mentioned myself that my ducklings last year loved finely chopped lettuce, have any of the "duck-people" out there discovered anything that their ducks simply love and which we could all then try?

An obvious one (which is my first job of the day) is to dig up some worms for them (yuk!) The ducklings actually fight over them they like them so much.

Another "treat" is to flood a piece of low-lying lawn with a hose pipe until the water is about 1cm deep. The ducks love dabbling in it, sifting through the grass and soil for food. If no lawn is available, just flood the soil in an old flower bed. Just as effective but more messy!!!

Regards, Ken

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi Ken.
    My ducks rampaged my home grown courgettes last year and since then everyone I have recommended them to has said their ducks can't get enough of them!
    With only one exception - Sara's................
    They chomped peices off them but i recommend a large size cheese grater. Mealworms (expensive) cucumber again grated, boiled eggs, unsalted chopped cooked pasta and boiled wet rice.
    Regards,
    Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 9 years ago #
  3. Omegaman

Hi Sarah
    Great ideas...... I have cucumber, pasta and rice immediately to hand so I'm off to try some!
    Ken

Posted 9 years ago #
  4. NeEd0nE2

my pekin's love butter crackers they think that it is the best food in the world. I don't give them to them too often couple times a summer doesn't seem to hurt them either. it's fun to watch them chase after them as I throw them out by them one one at a time.

kind regards
    Mike

Posted 9 years ago #
  5. Omegaman

Hi Mike
    Thanks for the tip....Something else for me to try today. Sarah's cucumber and rice went down well yesterday but I haven't tried the pasta yet.
    I am not familiar with pekins so I had to look them up. Lovely birds! I have always loved what I call the traditional white farmyard duck and I had assumed that all white ducks were Aylesburys. Now I know about pekins and white campbells..... You learn something every day!!!
    Kind regards
    Ken

Posted 9 years ago #
  6. Hi All,
    Yes I can't seem to get mine interested in courgette or carrot or any veg. they seem to enjoy ranging around the fields on our farm and eating the grass and insects that they find on their journey!
    If you don't sell your eggs then ducks and all poultry seem to really like hard boiled eggs, they love the yolk as it gives them protein but if you do sell your eggs then you can't feed them hard boiled eggs or other cooked food as the legislation doesn't permit it.
    Hope all is well with everyone and their ducks and birds and other livestock and pets.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  7. to distract my ducks from a shrub yesterday i poked some soft cabbage (greens) high up through the fence they had fun tugging at it and if they got a big bit they took it into the pool to eat it, and it was funny watching them all want the bit the other had got. they also love courgette and im growing my own this year, im also growing little gem lettuce so if i want to give them a treat i just pull the outer leaves and tear them up for them
    today i also put two old logs in the pen and although only 5 weeks old they had a good go at stripping the bark to find bugs below, i am constantly amazed how natural they are behaving despite not being raised by adult ducks
    Mo

mo x
    Posted 9 years ago #
  8. Hi Mo,
    I will try mine on cabbage leaves - thanks for the tip. My ducks were incubator ducks and as you say their instincts are amazing and whoever says they attach themselves to the first thing they see was wrong in the case of my ducks they won't let me get too close!
    Best Wsihes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  9. haha what a turn around me giving you tips
    Mo x

mo x
    Posted 9 years ago #
  10. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Lol, well mine won't eat cabbage or cauli leaves! the leafy things they like are lettuce, spinach and leeks.......
    S

Sarah L
    Posted 9 years ago #
  11. Hi All,
    Mine don't seem to be that keen on veg - although something has been nibbling the leaves of the broad bean plants and the tub is close to the duck pond!

It's interesting to see what they do like. I will investigate this week and let you know.
    I know mine like mealworms, slugs and snails!

Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  12. I had some left overs the other day so they were given it to try, mashed up potato carrotts and peas and they loved it xxx

mo x
    Posted 9 years ago #
  13. Hi All,
    Got little Princess my duck to eat abit of savoy cabbage leaves and then she got bored!
    Yesterday they all ate some shredded up lettuce until they got bored.
    This is definately a result! They may feed from my hand yet!
    Have a good day everyone.
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  14. Twiggy

Hi All
    I have some 4 week old incubated Welsh harlequins. They like bread and worms the best but yesterday ate green pepper and mushrooms.
    In fact they eat more left overs than the chickens.
    Could that explain why they poo so much?

Posted 9 years ago #
  15. leanne

Hi, We always give ours spinach to round them up at night. They come running into the pen when my husband just shakes the bag and go mad for it. They also like chopped carrots and swede. Interestingly, Pancake is the only duck we raised from a duckling and spinach was always part of her treats, whereas Humphrey and Dandelion who were grown ducks when we got them wouldn't touch the spinach for a few weeks. They all enjoy it now, although Pancake is still the first one who dives in! I tried live mealworms but they wouldn't touch them - think they are vegetarians! Leanne

Posted 9 years ago #
  16. Hi Twiggy,
    do you soak the bread before giving it to them or give it dry?
    Hi leanne,
    I can't get mine to eat carrot - do you give raw carrot or cooked carrot?
    I can't get them interested in worms that I dig up when I am gardening.
    It's strange what they like to eat!
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  17. quax

Hi all
    Well mine, like Sara don't seem very keen on courgettes or carrot or any other type of veg (must try spinach though), they are also not interested in boiled eggs. But they always come running and hang around me when I'm digging or weeding, they will fight over the worms I throw for them. But they will only take a worm from my hand if I turn my head away and don't look at them. Strange...
    But yes Ken, they do love to dabble about in a flooded bit of lawn, which happens every week when I pump out the pond!
    Rachel

Rachel
    Posted 9 years ago #
  18. Omegaman

Hi All
    I'm so glad you have seen the "lawn dabbling" Rachel. It always amuses me and I'm sure from their antics that the ducks think they are on holiday. Pumping out the pond was the way I first saw it. If it's sunny tomorrow I may get the hosepipe out for them.
    I think Leanne has made a valid point. My ducklings, last year and this year, never seemed that keen on any new types of food at first but if you persevere, then after they have tried it a few times they can fall in love with it. I found that with rice, boiled egg and fish pellets.
    I hadn't thought about carrots but will try that tomorrow. Sara, I would suggest raw but finely grated or shredded for my small ducklings. Must try leftovers as well.
    Regards
    Ken

Posted 9 years ago #
  19. queenie

Hi , I am new to the forum and find it fun and informative.I have 5 call ducks who love a treat , the only thing mine like other than your suggestions are chopped up sweet grapes.
    Queenie

Posted 9 years ago #
  20. Mama

Hi Queenie, When I had ducks they loved strawberrys , pears and plums, posh ducks. They only got them when they were ripening thick and fast. !! Regards Mama.

Goose Girl
    Posted 9 years ago #
  21. quax

Must try these new treats, I bought some spinach today, so will go and try that, would never have thought of fruit.
    By the way, welcome Queenie.
    Rachel

Rachel
    Posted 9 years ago #
  22. quax

Just tried spinach, they just looked at it, walked on it and wandered off! Rachel

Rachel
    Posted 9 years ago #
  23. leanne

Hi, Maybe it's because you're introducing a new food. Sometimes mine will do the same when I first put the spinach in (apart from Pancake!) but then they'll come back to it after a while and start eating. The carrots I use are chopped raw carrots mixed in with chopped raw swede. Unfortunately, they also seem to like pecking the buds off newly planted flowers so may have to cordon off the flower beds this summer! Leanne

Posted 9 years ago #
  24. Hi Rachel,
    Yes I know the look at the food, walk on food and wander off approach to new food!

Hi Leanne,
    Mine did come and have a look at carrot today but they are still not interested. I have managed to get a couple of the ducks to eat cabbage leaves - well shredded cabbage leaves so that's a step forward!

I have never seen mine nibbling at my plants although they do seem to prefer to dip their beaks into th soil and dig it up looking for insects!
    Best Wishes
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  25. pinkpoultry

Hi Sara,
    Is it safe to feed ducklings scrambled eggs? I have read information saying it is harmful to them, and others saying it is good for them, mine love the stuff, they eat their mash but look forward to the scrambled egg! Ive started mixing the mash with the egg so it goes a bit further, plus they get covered in it, they arnt very good at washing their heads and look all tatty and scruffy, i try dripping water on their heads but they dont like it at all and struggle to get away, or rubbing/picking at it to try and get it off and they dont like that either, mucky pups.
    Thanks!
    Laura

Posted 9 years ago #
  26. Hi Laura,
    I have fed my ducklings hard boiled eggs (My ducklings are now two years old!). I am not an expert but I haven't heard that it is harmful to them. I do know that if you are going to seel your duck eggs when they start laying then you cannot feed them cooked foods such as hard boiled or scrambled eggs.
    I found this website that says scrambled egg is an acceptable treat. http://www.liveducks.com/care.html
    If any of us speak to our vets in the near future then we could ask them.
    Your duckslings sound delightful and sound like they love their food.
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  27. pinkpoultry

Hi Sara,
    Thank you, I was so worried I had been feeding them the wrong food! Oh they do love their food, little hungry hippos! Which is great, peanut is 3 weeks old tomorrow and is around 9 inches tall! He is huge!! I cant get over his/her height!
    I shall ask the vet next time I see them and ask.
    Thanks!
    Laura

Posted 9 years ago #
  28. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi Laura,
    I think eggs are a bit too rich for their delicate little tums. Wait til they are a bit older 8weeks+ then only give it 2-3 times a week.
    Mine don't like grated carrot, buts ok cos the dog does and he comes and hoovers it up when they turn their noses up at it!
    Do you have a bowl of water for the ducklings to get into so they can immerse their whole bodies and wash themselves all over? A washing up bowl would be sufficient. They need to be able to get in and out on their own, so a brick inside and one outside should do.
    Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 9 years ago #
  29. made to much scrambled egg this morning so i scattered the rest around the duck pen, each duck has checked it out but none have eaten any as yet, going to be a mucky job clearing it up later if they dont eat it lol
    Mo x

mo x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  30. campbell ridge
    Administrator

chopped green beans that are too stringy for human consumption! Went down a treat yesterday.

Sarah L
    Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.