Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Gardening

Anyone have an allotment ?

(9 posts)

1. anitopia

I know most of you are on farms and smallholdings so i guess you grow your veggies etc on site (very envious) but wondered if there are any fellow allotment renters out there.

I took mine on late last year and it is only a small plot really but was very overgrown. My main aim was to grow soft fruit for my preserve making so they have all gone in and i know it will be a few years before i get lots of fruit but i dont mind.

We are also growing carrots,beetroot,chard with my daughter aged 10 growing barley(!!), sweet dumpling squash, strawberries and runner beans in some old tyres. We also made a very small pond out of an old plastic tub which has some plants in.

I like making something useful out of junk and rubbish but it does get me a few strange looks.

We are going to make some scarecrows during half term just to liven the place up..lol

The down side of allotments is the fact i have to load up the car and drive to it and i am always forgetting something so i have a big box full of might needs.

Posted 7 years ago #
  2. Mama

Hello Anitopia. We had an allotment many years ago and really loved it. It did become a problem as you say, loading up the car and making the effort after we had both finished work and we both worked unsocial hours. Just enjoy it whilst you can but it is not always easy despite our willingness. We did have to give ours up as work ,children and other things became a bit too much.Would love to see your made of junk things , you sound like a girl just like me.Well perhaps not girls but that is how I think of myself . giggle, it is all in the mind!! not in the bones UGH. Best wishes Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  3. anitopia

Certainly is in the mind because my back and hips are telling me i am nearing 70 rather than 45....lol!!

I just tend to find things and see them differently like a wooden statue of mum.dad and baby....modern type. Got it for 50p at a junk sale and it is now in my garden near a sink pond. It wont last forever but it looks natural and i like it. I love odd things (dont mention hubby..ha ha) and have lots of sparkly things hanging from the trees in the garden and candles etc.

I havent quite got into it at the allotment yet but i just like to do things my way and not how i am supposed to and why not. At this age i have learned to do and be what ever i want to be :-)

Posted 7 years ago #
  4. Mama

You have learnt very young ,did not get to that stage until much later, good on you . Know the feeling with hips and backs but think we can all say that. The joy of doing something you really like, caring for animals , gardening ,watching the birds is worth it's weight in gold. Do send some pics, that would be great. Hope hubby is not one of the things hanging in the trees!!!! Regards Mama.

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  5. Hi Anitopia & Mama,
    On our farm we have a small orchard and veg garden that was overgrown. Over the last few years we have worked to try to get the nettles down. I had done really well and was growing veg and then we were flooded a few years ago and all the veg patch was under water for weeks. This year my veg garden enthusiasm is back with a vengence, so have lettuce, radish, broadbeans, asparagus, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli and sprouts growing. Did plant beetroot, courgettes, french beans, runner beans and peas but none have germinated so far!
    Only eaten some of the asparagus so far.
    Have a good day.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  6. Mama

Hi Sara, What a great selection of veg. Did you sow sprout seeds ready for winter? Clearing ground is really back breaking but what satisfaction for you. I have some wild asparagus that grew from a seed. We don't eat it as I like it for the fern, it looks so pretty and is doing just that now. My fruit and veg are all well on the way and I look forward to the summer harvest. Just stated picking strawberries yum.
    Regards Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  7. Hi Mama,
    Yes the brussel sprouts are ready for the winter! Yes we are getting there, I will find some photos of the flooded beg patch, the nettle patch - oops I mean veg patch and then a more organised veg patch!
    I use the asparagus fern for the ladies buttonholes we make for the village produce show, have won a few times with them!
    Strawberries yum!
    Glad your fruit and veg are growing well.
    We will all have to share recipes using our veg and fruit.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  8. Mama

Hi Sara, Yes that would be great if we could all swap recipes, I have a nice one for courgette fritters which we eat with pre dinner drinks or with a meal. Also have a savoury cake which is to die for and has numeros variations, Ham & olive , Red pepper and onion, Feta & basil .you name it . It is so versatile and can be used as a starter with a green salad. You must be very artistic to win with buttonholes. If only we could just do the things we enjoy, wouldn't life be easy. No cookers to clean !!!!!!! My Coriander is growing like mad as is the Basil, just love them both. I read that a flooded garden usually does better the year after as it has had a load of sludge brought in . Look forward to the pics.
    Best wishes to all Mama.

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  9. Hi Mama,
    Your making my mouth water just reading your recipe suggestions! Courgette fritters sound great. I have a recipe for courgette and chocolate cake somewhere which is delicious.
    I'll post those photos soon.
    We have a village produce show every year and I have won a trophy each time althouhg I do like to enter lots of entries which does help!
    It's a lovely sunny day here today. Hope it's good with you.
    The radish plants are beginning to show some red of the radish so won't be long before eating it!
    Best Wishes
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.