Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Wildlife

Barn Owl Nest & Eggs

(5 posts)

1. Hi All,

Mama has some neighbours who have a barn owl nest and they have managed to get a picture of the nest with eggs in it when the barn owl went on their daily hunt.

"Dear Sara, I was thrilled to see this picture that my neighbour took last night after mum had gone out for supper. Can not believe how long they will take to hatch considering they are about the size of a pigeon egg 30 days.
    Best wishes Mama."

It's always amazing to see a nest with eggs in. I got a picture of a bluetit nest a few years ago, you always have to be quick to make sure that the bird doesn't see you as they can abandon the nest.

My fatherinlaw when he was young would look for bird eggs, not to collect, just to identify them, he has lent me his bird eggs book and all the eggs he has seen in the wild he has underlined in the book, it makes interesting reading.

Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. Omegaman

Great picture Mama. I hope your friends will be able to get some pictures of the chicks (do I mean owlets?) when mum is away. What an exciting prospect! Ken

Posted 9 years ago #
  3. Mama

Hi Sara, Your book sounds lovely especially as it was a childs book. Perhaps you could list the ones he spotted.
    Ken, Glad you liked the pic, it interested me that is is not really a nest but a bed of old bones and broken up pellets as you can see in the pic. Unfortunately my friends will not be there when the eggs hatch but we are going to try and keep an eye open for the chicks.Here's hoping, Regards Mama.

Goose Girl
    Posted 9 years ago #
  4. anitopia

wow amazing picture

Posted 9 years ago #
  5. Hi Mama,
    I will put a list of the birds eggs together that my father-in-law saw when he was younger.
    Your picture is fabulous, gives us a great insight into the nest of a barn owl, as you say very interesting to see that the floor is lined with bones and broken up pellets!
    It's amazing what birds use as nesting material!
    Best Wishes
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.