Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Wildlife

Bird Nesting In Hollow Of Tree

(3 posts)

1. Hi All,

The other day I found some nesting material, feathers, moss, wool etc that had fallen out of a hollow in a tree in our orchard, I had a look but more material was inside blocking the hole so I just went off. Then yesterday I saw that more of the nesting material was out and when I looked into the hollow all the nesting material was out but couldn't see anything inside. I wonder what bird might have nested in there. Looked on the internet and apparently coal tits nest in tree hollows.
    Anyone got any ideas what it might be?
    Kind regards
    sara @ faringfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi Sara, it could be any number of birds. Blue tits, great tits, coal tits, Nuthatch, spotted woodpeckers - the list is endless. What is probably hapening is a new bird has arrived at the nest and is removing the old nesting material from inside and chucking it out - a spring clean. They would be careful to not drop any new materials on their way into their new home. :)
    Keep a watch and see if you see any comings or goings.
    Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 9 years ago #
  3. Hi Sarah,
    Thanks for your answer. The hole is quite low down. I will take a photo of it.
    I will keep a look out for new nesting material. Wouldn't dropping the olf material right outside the door be an indication to other birds eg magpies and crows that there was a nest with potential eggs and chicks inside?
    best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.