Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Recipes

Need Help Please for birthday party dinner

(17 posts)

1. Mama

Hi Everyone. I am planning a surprise dinner for my loved one in July, he will be 70. It will be very hot here and would just like some easy cook recipes that I can prepare the day before and reheat on the day.I will have a lot of veg ready then . We shall be 16 people. I can sort out the starter and dessert but would like some ideas please on the main course. Thanks in advance Mama.

Goose Girl
    Posted 9 years ago #
  2. Hi Mama,

How about shepherd's pie with salad & chips or jacket potatoes. Shepherd's pie can be prepared in large trays and then heated on the day needed with lots of grated cheese on top!

How about a cold meat and various salads buffet. You could do the salmon, avocado and egg salad as one salad.

I will keep thinking.

Sounds a lovely idea and what a surprise for your beloved.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  3. sallie

Hi Mama,
    How about Ratatouille as one of the vegetable dishes. Can be made the day before and heated up.
    For the meat I would do a huge glazed ham which you can cook the day before and serve cold, yummy with salad and new potatoes (which you will have)and just right if the weather is hot. Lucky you! We will probably be back on stews to try to warm up.

I make my salads with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, sliced smoked pork sausage, small cubes of goats cheese, baby corn, avocado and anything else I can find! Very filling on their own.

Good luck, I am sure you will get lots of ideas off the forum.

Best wishes
    Sallie.

Posted 9 years ago #
  4. Mama

Hi Sara & Sallie, Thank you both for the lovely ideas. If only I could get a glazed ham here I would be in seventh heaven. It will be lovely as our children & granchildren are coming over and himself knows nothing. Best wishes, mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 9 years ago #
  5. Mama you say you will have lots of veg by then, so how about veg lasagne or veg curry or veg chilli come to think about it all can be served without meat and a good chunk of bread and salad
    and if you can by a large gammon you only need to cook it in cider to have a tastey hot or cold cut of meat
    Mo x

mo x
    Posted 9 years ago #
  6. Mama

Hi Mo, I can not get gammon here but the other suggestions sound good. Have a nice day, Regards Mama x

Goose Girl
    Posted 9 years ago #
  7. Hi Mama,
    What about stuffed peppers!
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  8. sounds very exciting - if it is going to be hot - lots of salads, savoury flans (using the veg ), sausage rolls - + our young ones love cold pizza (with deep filling) - all can be done the day before.

Posted 9 years ago #
  9. Just remembered - our niece was married in France at the cafe in the Jura where she was an au pere. The cafe did a fantastic feast - the main course was roast chicken which was fantastic!

Posted 9 years ago #
  10. sallie

Hi Mama, If gammon isn't a possible, how about a large joint of beef. Cook the day before and have it cold. Yummy with salad and new potatoes.

Mum does a cracking chicken dish. Cook a few chooks the day before (roast), when cold remove meat from carcass and then put in a white sauce. Reheat when ready, you can add a bit of mustard to the sauce for more of a bite (or anything you fancy). Easy peasy as it is all in one dish and just needs popping in the oven on the day of the party. I think Mum uses concentrated mushroom soup in the sauce. Will have to ask her when she comes back from Devon. (Actually the entire sauce may be concentrated mushroom soup with enough liquid added to make it a sauce!!!)

Best wishes
    Sallie.

Posted 9 years ago #
  11. Mama

Hi Top Veg, If our nearest cafe was a little closer we would all be going there but I do not want anyone to drive. Jura is about 3hrs away so that's a no go. We did go to a wedding here in August but not on my finacial scale , 3000 euros for flowers!!!!!!! and then the catering and marquee. Savoury flans sound good , lots of eggs here , goose and chicken. Sure the little ones would love the deep pan pizza. It will be I think about 30 degs here if not hotter . Mo Have you got a recipe for Veg Lasagne, had one years ago but have lost it. That will suit some but not all. Many Thanks to you all for the ideas. Best wishes Mama.

Goose Girl
    Posted 9 years ago #
  12. Mama

Sallie, The chicken sounds good for one choice as the beef here is not quite the same as in the UK.They eat it very rare, and they cut across the grain. Please find out from your mum but do not know if we can get the soup here either, hope she has had a good time in Devon. Best wishes Mama.

Goose Girl
    Posted 9 years ago #
  13. Mama, Veg Lasagne, I just make it up as I go along any thing you like can go in, you can practice over the next few months, make as you would a normal lasagne, but replace the meat layers with what ever veg you want courgette cauliflower peppers onions mushrooms, get the picture anything goes, hard veg i would pre boil but courgette etc is fine raw if you dont mind your veg having abit of a bite serve with crusty bread yummy xxx
    Mo
    ps. for a quick lazy but tasty lasagne, here we can by tins of mixed beans and they make a fantastic alternative to meat in any lasagne, curry or chilli dish, my son became a veggi a couple of years ago and now much as i still love meat we do eat more veggi meals

mo x
    Posted 9 years ago #
  14. Hi Mama,

My friend did couscous with onions, mushrooms and olives and then stuffed peppers on Friday and roasted them, yummy. I made mince and then stuffed peppers and roasted them. the couscous or mince could be made the day before and then stuff the peppers and roast 40 mins/1 hour before serving.
    Best Wishes
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  15. yanky

Hi Mama I was just at a cookery demo last Friday all about prepare ahead summer entertaining & she did a marvellous recipe for rack of lamb with Mediterranean veg which was all prepared beforehand & reheated. It was amazing. You don't have to use lamb---chicken or steak would be just as nice. Or how about good old Coronation chicken_cold & all prepared the day before! If you're interested if you could give me your email address I could send the recipes!
    Yan.
    PS The Med veg were new pots with lemon & olives,courgettes, green beans, tomatoes,capers & herbs!

Posted 9 years ago #
  16. sallie

Hi Mama, Got the recipe. 1 or 2 chickens (depending on number of people) roast and allow to cool then remove meat from carcase and put into oven dish. Soften an onion in butter add flour to make a roux add milk to make a white onion sauce. Add one tin of concentrated mushroom soup (optional) add seasoning and a pinch of curry powder to give a kick. Liquidize the sauce and pour over the chicken. You can make this the day before and then just reheat when ready to use. Easy!!!

Good luck with the party.

Sallie.

Posted 9 years ago #
  17. Mama

Hi Yan, Sara and Sallie , Thank you for the recipes. Yan If you ask Sara she will give you my email address,both recipes please. I shall have a good stock of easy recipes for the whole of the summer. Thanks again to all. Regards Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.