Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Wildlife

Wasp Nest In Hen Nest Box

(6 posts)

1. Hi All,

In the las t few days a wasp nest has appeared in my hens nest box. The other day I noticed a wasp in the hen hut and then that night there was a funny silver saucer shaped object hanging from the roof of the hen nest box. In the last few days the saucer has had a cup shaped object added to it with a whole in hte middle of it. Tonight the object was moving about. Plus a hen had laid an egg in the nest box. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do, don't fancy getting stung whilst collecting eggs but don't fancy moving the wasp on either?!

Thanks
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. Mama

Sara, Really think you will have to remove the nest. The safest option may be a wasp nest spray which you do after dusk so the hens will not be there. A quick squirt and that's it. Done it lot's of times in my little greenhouse , have to as I do not wish to be stung. I have also just squashed the nest with a trowel and then thrown it outside . I know it sounds cruel but it's me or them . Regards Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 9 years ago #
  3. yanky

Mama's right Sara it has to go. I absolutely hate killing anything but the nest will get bigger & bigger. They can grow to mammoth sizes. Not helped by looking at it closely & seeing how beautifully it's made!!!!!
    Anyway they could also sting the hens---not good!
    Yan

Posted 9 years ago #
  4. Omegaman

Hi Sara
    Yes, I think Mama and Yan are right. I regularly get wasp's nests in my loft and, if I go up there in the summer months, I am risking life and limb. As soon as the light goes on, one or two appear at first, then half a dozen, then swarms of them. I have to use a spray that fires a jet some distance so I don't have to get too close. Also, you wouldn't want wasps anywhere near young chicks as they eat meat.
    I think I had a nest similar to the one you described in my garage a few years ago. I will email a picture to you to see if it is the same
    Regards
    Ken

Posted 9 years ago #
  5. Hi Ken and everyone,

If you have never encountered a wasp nest then here is the wasp nest that appeared in my hen's nest box in just one day!

Ken had a wasp's nest that was hanging from the roof of his garage a few years ago. Ken didn't see the creature that lived in it but assumed it was a wasp. The nest was about the size of a duck egg and very thin, in marked contrast to the huge nests that the wasps build in my loft. The latter are about 15" across, beautifully constructed, but lethal.

Topveg http://topveg.com had a wasp nest in their laurel the other year and sent me a photo.

I am pleased to say that the wasp nest in my hen hut has now gone and no human, hen or wasp was stung or hurt in the process!!!!

Have a good weekend everyone
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  6. Omegaman

Hi Sara
    The picture of the nest from TopVeg is similar to the ones I have to remove from my loft and, like TopVeg, I also had one in my laurel hedge. Laurels clearly provide good year round cover but perhaps the leaves are good for building(?) The construction is quite incredible as the nest is so light and is made up from chewed up wood, leaves and even paper. The random choice of materials results in the striped effect.
    Because of their inherent beauty, I decided to keep one of the "dead" nests in my greenhouse until my daughter (a primary school teacher) next visited so she could take it into her class. I was horrified when, after about a month, the nest came back to life and the greenhouse was humming with wasps. With plastic mac, gloves and spade I gently moved the nest to our laurel hedge where I wedged it...and ran. Another one of life's lessons learned!!!
    Kind regards
    Ken

Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.