Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Wildlife

Hoopoe With a Beetle

(8 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by admin
  • Latest reply from campbell ridge

1. Hi All,

Mama has sent in this fantastic photo of the hoopoe getting a beetle to feed to her chicks.

Mama say "The Hoopoe has a bug as you will see and the nest is under the canal roof tile. She comes every year to the same tile !! Amazing."

I have never seen a hoopoe so thanks for sharing this Mama what an amazing looking bird and amazing photo.

Best Wishes
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. quax

Gosh, what an incredible looking bird, I have never heard of a hoopoe, which country is it normally found?
    A great picture!
    Rachel

Rachel
    Posted 9 years ago #
  3. Mama

Hi Rachel, I have never seen them in the UK but they have been seen in the south of England,I have been told . The call is quite wonderful , it is ,hoo hoo hoo.When we hear this we know summer is on the way. So glad you like the pics.

Goose Girl
    Posted 9 years ago #
  4. Very nice but very unusual never heard off them either

mo x
    Posted 9 years ago #
  5. yanky

What a lovely picture Mama! We have seen these on our travels. It must be lovely to have a resident!
    Yan

Posted 9 years ago #
  6. Omegaman

Hi Mama
    Fantastic picture....and how lucky are you to have birds like this in your garden. A real taste of the exotic. How successful have they been at raising young under the tiles?
    Kind regards
    Ken
    PS: I have to ask....what kind of a bug is that, and do you get many that size!!!!!!!

Posted 9 years ago #
  7. Mama

Hi Ken, She has three chicks and raises at least that every year. The bug is a chaffer and we get them a lot bigger than this one . They come in a lovely range of colours, bronze ,green ,brown ,black. If I spot a bronze one which is twice the size of the one you see on the photo , I shall take a picture for you regards. Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 9 years ago #
  8. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Great photo. We have only seen them in france and spain, but i think sometimes they are blown off course into the kent area.
    we have a pair of whitethroats that come back every year and nest in exactly the same bramble bush.
    Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.