Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Wildlife

How do I prevent Bird Strike?

(10 posts)

Tags:

1. Omegaman

Hi All
    I was sitting in the lounge this morning when I heard a sickeningly familiar thump on the patio doors and turned to see a starling lying on it's back on the patio. I rushed out and picked it up (before the ducks got to it) and, after holding it for 5 minutes, I was much relieved to see it shake itself and fly off.
    I have several bird of prey sillouettes stuck on the glass doors but we still get several bird strikes every year, some unfortunately being fatal. Does anyone else experience this and do you have any special techniques to prevent it?
    Thanks
    Ken

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. Mama

Hi Ken, It happens to us and I don't think there is a real prevention. Would like to know if there is. Regards Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 9 years ago #
  3. Ken yesterday I wrote on facebook that I felt under attack from birds yeasterday morning, thankfully no deaths this time, did have a dead bluetit last week, don't think we can stop it really, maybe let our windows get a little dirty so as to lose the garden reflection maybe x

mo x
    Posted 9 years ago #
  4. yanky

Hi Ken, when we moved here 6 years ago I couldn't believe how many deaths we had from birds slapping into the conservatory. The final straw was a beautiful woodpecker. I stuck the bird of prey silhouettes on & never looked back. The only time I get stikes now is when feeding outside our kitchen & the sparrowhawk comes. The birds panic & hit the window but usually with a bit of heat from the aga they recover fully. Maybe you just need to put more stickers on. Or even these tinkling bells that blow in the wind.
    Sorry not very helpful!!
    Yan.

Posted 9 years ago #
  5. Hi Ken and All,

We get a few blackbirds and thrushes flying into the windows. I don't hae net curtains, maybe we need a net curtain revival! or to get anti relective windows.

Yan what a great idea about stickers for the windows.
    Hope you are all having a good weekend.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  6. Mama

Hello Yan, We do have tinkling bells but no net curtains also poppy stickers to get rid of flies. It still does happen sometimes. Have asked Sara to give you my email add for the recipe. Best wishes Mama.

Goose Girl
    Posted 9 years ago #
  7. yanky

That's great Mama!
    \Yan

Posted 9 years ago #
  8. sallie

Hi All,
    I used to get bird strikes against the huge patio window but now have voile panels and have not had any since then. Bit more upmarked than net but stops people looking in and stops bird strikes!!!
    Best wishes
    Sallie.

Posted 9 years ago #
  9. Mama

Hi Sallie, Voile panels are very french. Don't have time to wash them all and we have shutters to keep out the light and dark, but if they work, go for it. Regards Mama.

Goose Girl
    Posted 9 years ago #
  10. Hi All,

Ken has sent me the photos of the Starling that crashed into his patio doors!

The Starling just coming around but still in a daze!

Did anyone get the munber of that truck, oh actually it was a window!

5 minutes later and ready to go fully recovered.

Thanks for sharing these photos Ken, I have never seen starlings on our farm, although they are in the village, so I have never seen them this close.

Best Wishes
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.