Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Pets Corner

5 year old guinea pig poorly

(6 posts)

Tags:

1. Hi All,

Guiness the guinea pig is abit poorly today, he seems to be breathing heavily, has the snuffles and is abit wobbly.

Anitopia I know you are an expert on guinea pigs - do you think it's a cold?

I will take him to the vets tomorrow, bank holiday today!

I have put him in the barn with a heat lamp to warm him up as he was very cold and shivery. He has had a drink, is there anything I can give him to pep him up?

Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi Sara, Guinea pigs don't recover very well from illness and it sounds as though he may have developed a bit of pneumonia.

Keep him warm and calm and tasty tit bits of food and a little water every now and
    again..

In my experience the prognosis is not good I'm sorry to say. We lost two to it last year.
    Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 9 years ago #
  3. anitopia

Little hugs to Guiness.

Guineas are very prone to colds/pneumonia as Sarah L has said and this on/off weather wont be helping either.

I hope he has perked up today but they tend not to have much fight in them when it comes to illnesses :-(.

Posted 9 years ago #
  4. Hi Sarah and Anitopia,
    Thanks for your comments and well wishes for Guiness. He seems much brighter today. He's been nibbling on cucumber which he always likes and is moving about abit more now.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  5. campbell ridge
    Administrator

oh thats good news, we feared the worst
    x

Sarah L
    Posted 9 years ago #
  6. Mama

Saa, So glad about guiness , have been reading but could not comment. give him a hug from me. Regards Mama.

Goose Girl
    Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.