Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Wildlife

holiday in wales

(10 posts)

1. queenie

Hi
    I am just back from 11 days in Wales , an idilic camp site noted for it's wildlife. We had 5 baby rabbits playing outside our awning every day. A squirrel inside the awning wheneverwe wern't alert, and even a blue tit with a bad sense of direction found it's way in once.We were a little dissapointed the we didn't see as many Red Kites and Buzards as we did last year untill the day before we left and the farmer cut his hay field behind the site . We were treated to the most amazing ariel display of 6 Red Kites following his tractor swooping for small mammals ,they would take thier prey back to thier young and in 5 mins be back for more. Truely awe-inspiring to see them so close in the wild. Missed my ducks though!!
    Queenie

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. sounds wonderful

mo x
    Posted 9 years ago #
  3. Hi Queenie,
    Sounds like you had a fabulous break and saw some wonderful sights. Isn't nature just wonderful.
    I am hoping to get away for a few days this week in the caravan, but I know I will miss all the animals like you have.
    Kindr egards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  4. We cancelled our May holiday to Wales as I had just got my ducks, we put the holiday back until the end of September, thing is the way I feel at the moment im not going to want to go then either, not sure it would be fair on my hubby if we cancel again, will see how i feel closer to, perhaps the novalty will have worn of a bit by then x
    Mo

mo x
    Posted 9 years ago #
  5. campbell ridge
    Administrator

lol, we havent been away since we got our ducks either. In fact not since May 2008.
    Its daft but you do worry that they wont be fed enough, cleaned out enough, water changed and protected during the day when people are at work:(
    We ought to arrange house sitting by experienced duck owners!
    Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 9 years ago #
  6. there was me thinking i was just being silly, thinking no one else would look after them properly x

mo x
    Posted 9 years ago #
  7. Hi Mo & Sarah,
    May be we should start up a house swop holiday service for duck and poultry keepers!!!! That way we get a break, see different places, know our livestock are well looked after and still get to look after some animals ourselves whilst away!!
    Mo after you have tried to fill up drinkers in the snow and ice during Winter, you'll be ready for a holiday!
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  8. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Do you have a static caravan Sara? Where is it?

Sarah L
    Posted 9 years ago #
  9. Hi Sarah,
    No we have a little old touring caravan, abit rickety but means we can get away locally! Not too far so I can pop back to sort my poultry and cats if need be.
    Last year went to Crayke, Burton Constable and Leven in the caravan.
    Best Wsihes
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  10. I love the snow, house swops sound good but none of you could take on my son his girlfriend or our dog haha x
    I have suggested we get one of them big american campers which have full sized baths then we could take the ducks with us lol

mo x
    Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.