Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Pets Corner

ticks on a dog

(21 posts)

1. For the first time in 10 years my dog has a tick, what do i do, i know you have to pull it out but know you can get it wrong too
    please tell me how to do it, its horrible
    Mo x

mo x
    Posted 9 years ago #
  2. Mama

Hi Mo, Our dog used to get them when we moved here. They are disgusting. We used to put alcohol on them or even meths on a cotton wool pad and wait for a few minutes, then pull out with a pair of tweezers, you should try to get the head as well. Then put on a good amount of antiseptic on the tiny wound. You can get an anti tic treatment from the vet but it is really expensive. As it is the first time it may not be needed. Another trip to the vet for me tomorrow as grace's foot is even worse. so upset about it all. My very best wishes Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 9 years ago #
  3. lisamaslen

Hi mo,
    My dog gets them all the time from the corn fields by us, go to your vet and get a tic remover its a little green thing that you put under the tick and pull it out, it gets the head out as well that what you have to make sure you get out , there not expensive and you will allways have it,
    Lisa

XX

lisa x
    Posted 9 years ago #
  4. campbell ridge
    Administrator

http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/information/tick_removal.htm -
    the head of this tool looks a bit like two teeth of a comb.......

If you use tweezers you may get the body and not the head, then you will squeeze poison into him. Apparently you have to remove the head anticlockwise
    S

Sarah L
    Posted 9 years ago #
  5. thanks for that, off to the vets when they open, have never seen one on him before but hes a retriever with long hair, so he may have had them before without me knowing, your right Mama it disgusting, turned my stomach,
    can the ducks have them, I can't see me searching through feathers looking for them

Sorry to hear about grace still suffering, terrible place to have an abbcess x
    Mo x

mo x
    Posted 9 years ago #
  6. hazlia

Hi Mo

Sorry to hear about the ticks. In the hedges/long grass around the garden at my house in the New Forest we get them almost all the year round but mainly in the spring when they become more active and get on cat and dog and often me when cutting the hedges and digging the ditches. We get a lot of deer near the garden (thankfully not in it), and there are the ponies and cattle (and occasionally pigs) - all of which get covered in spring and summer. When I kept a pony she nearly always had ticks around her nose and eyes and inside her ears. Far too many to really pull off. When I got them on me I used to put vasaline all over it (my attempt to stop it breathing and let go! - works for Bot fly lavae (far more disgusting!)) Not sure if that helped but then I removed it with tweezers making sure the head was also gone. If you pull gently and slowly it usually comes off in 'one piece'. Apart from being rather disgusting a more sinister aspect is Lymes disease which affects different people in different ways, but my mother caught it. Knowing the symptoms and having had a tick on her not too long previous she put 2 and 2 together and asked to be tested - she had it! Luckily it was early days and easily and quickly cured. I must stress, however, it is quite rare in most areas.

Supposedly keeping Guinea Fowl significantly reduces the instances of Lymes disease where ticks are known to be. Where I am now we have 2 semi wild dogs on the farm. They always used to be covered (Yuk!!). Since the Guinea Fowl have arrived the dogs seem to have less (not that Guinea Fowl actually peck them off the dogs!).

Living in the New Forest with animals I could guarantee that I would get at least a few each spring from cutting hedges and from the cat or dog. However, I was always aware of Lymes Disease symtoms - just in case.

Depending where you live - but especially in the country I think you will find ticks very often on your animals - I suspect poultry must get them as well but are better equipment and more agile to 'clean' themselves. You can buy various powders and 'other stuff' which will supposedly keepp them (and fleas) off - I have yet to see one which actually works

Leeches are a bigger problem for me now!

Regards

Mike

Michael O'Riordan
    Posted 9 years ago #
  7. anitopia

Ticks do seem to be a problem this year and even though my dogs and cats are treated the little darling are still hitching a ride.

I have the green tick remover and i always have one in my pocket but trying to get them off Harry evil black cat isnt always easy....lol.

Not too far from you Mike and sounds like you have a lovely home. Leeches..........eergh!

Posted 9 years ago #
  8. pinkpoultry

My partners Dad has a dog and he has a farm, Scrap is a collie and he always gets them, sounds horrible but with a lit cigarette burn the tick and it leaves go of the flesh and its head comes out, then pull it out, make sure you get it all! They are gross, make my skin crawl!!! x

Posted 9 years ago #
  9. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi Mike,
    My hubby found a leech in our old swampy area yuk. This will soon be turned into a relined pond!
    Do they trouble your waterfowl? I expect they are rife in that heat and environment. Oh for the ticks in the english countryside!
    What sort of problem do they give your birds?
    Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 9 years ago #
  10. just back in i have got one of the tick removers and also a spray you can use first that can make the tick fall off, i hope it does as im dreading the pull out option
    as for lymes disease, I heard one of our villagers died of that last year, what are the symptoms please
    Mike I would love to live in the new forest
    Mo

mo x
    Posted 9 years ago #
  11. tick gone and it was horrible, hope i never see one again, bobby put up abit of a fight though x

mo x
    Posted 9 years ago #
  12. hazlia

Hi Sarah

I think the ducks and Geese eat any leeches they find in the pond and the other poulty make pretty quick snacks of any that wave around on the end of leaves looking for a 'target'! The Buffalo Leeches are particularly nasty at about 3 inches long before they start feeding. Luckily I have only ever come across one in the pond. We were in waist deep cleaning out some rather thick grass when my friend was 'attached" - only noticed it when we got out - never seen anything quite so huge and revolting - thankfully him and not me (ha ha ha).

The ticks are not really a problem here as the birds scoff them! The Dogs still have a few in their ears and between the their legs. I have never seen any on the cats.

The house in the UK is up on small hill in Burley over-looking the cranesmoor bog and Bourenmouth/Poole in the distance. The area is full of bracken which is full of ticks which always manage to find their way onto cat and dog (and occasionally you) and I often see the blighters walking over their coat before they find a place to "dig in".

I remember many years ago doing Naval aircrew survival training in the New Forest during Apr/May (and having ridden ponies and hunted (sorry not PC these days I know) in the New Forest since I was 6, was always one step ahead of the directing staff who could not figure out why I always seemed to be so well fed and didn't need a map!). Most of us had ticks by the end of the 2 weeks as we were sleeping 'rough' - only discovered them once we stripped off and had a decent shower and bath at the end of the course. You don't really want to know where they embedded themselves but it required extreme care getting them out - certainly not the light cigarette!!!!

On a slightly more pleasant note, a couple of days ago, I was just taking off from a very remote village up in the Kelabit Highlands in Sarawak near the Kelamantan border and I spotted about 30 Hornbills (well a very large flock) fly underneath me - absolutely marvellous! The interior of this country is still really stunningly beautiful. What takes me about 1 hour in a helicopter would take days by road.

Michael O'Riordan
    Posted 9 years ago #
  13. yanky

Mo the best thing for ticks is to get a box of PROGRAM or similar from your vet. It's vials which you spread on the skin on the back of your dog's neck. A box has 3 month's supply--every 4 weeks but our dogs weren't lasting that long so our daughter who's also our vet recommended every 3 weeks during the summer. They are rife this year!
    Yan

Posted 9 years ago #
  14. thanks Yan, im ammazed we have got away with it this long, or as i said before perhaps just never spoted them before
    Mo

mo x
    Posted 9 years ago #
  15. hazlia

Mo

If you type in Lyme's Disease into Google, you will get a number if websites (NHS included) which will tell you what to look for.

Regards

Mike

Michael O'Riordan
    Posted 9 years ago #
  16. yanky

Seemingly dogs can get Lymes as well!
    Yan

Posted 9 years ago #
  17. Sara I will read that artical when my brain wakes up, im on abit of a go slow this morning x

mo x
    Posted 9 years ago #
  18. one for Dr, Sallie, what happens if I fail to see a tick on my dog, I did find a large swollon one on him the other day i think must have been there ror awhile x

mo x
    Posted 9 years ago #
  19. sallie

Hi Mo, dont panic!!! When a tick is fully gorged it falls off anyway so not a problem except for the chance of dog getting disease, which is why it is advisable to remove as soon as you see them. The really big ones are disgusting, had one terrier who went to ground and I ended up removing 82 ticks from her. Luckily she is short coated and the ticks were the size of pin heads but took all evening. I keep a bowl of soapy water nearby and drop tick into that, kills them. I have only ever had one on the labs, right by the eye so nicely visible and removed promptly.
    I use Advocate (prescription only) which does ticks, fleas and lung worm. The lung worm can be a real problem if you have slugs and snails about (which we all do). Symptoms range from lethargy, discomfort, just under the weather, etc. I had a friend whose dog got this and it took weeks and lots of tests to discover the underlying cause of the illness. I do mine Spring and Summer with Advocate just to avoid the hassle.
    Best wishes
    Sallie.

Posted 9 years ago #
  20. sallie

Hi All http://www.lungworm.co.uk/, Link to lungworm aware website. Might be worth a look as symptoms are so varied.
    Sallie.

Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.