Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » General Discussion

Keeping bees

(10 posts)

1. quax

Hello one and all, my husband is showing an interest in bee keeping and is thinking of getting a couple of hives. I can't decided if it would be a good idea or not, I love honey but could anyone give me some pros and cons of keeping bees.
    Thanks
    Rachel

Rachel
    Posted 9 years ago #
  2. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi Rachel,
    We had considered it but were worried about the ducks eating them.
    I expect you have read that two of my ducks have now swallowed bees and been stung in the throat. The symptoms are: random manic running about, swollen throat, puffed up feathers and trying to scratch their throats on the side of a water trough. Fortunately hey recovered very quickly when sent to the bath for a complete dunking! They have obviously spread the word because now they ALL distinguish between bees and flies and they don't go for them at all any more.
    Sarah.

Sarah L
    Posted 9 years ago #
  3. quax

The poor things, I have seen some bees around and in our garden, but so far (touch wood) none of the ducks seems to have been affected, whether that is skill on their part or just luck I don't know. Will have to ponder on this a while longer I think.
    Rachel

Rachel
    Posted 9 years ago #
  4. pinkpoultry

Oh dear....I have been thinking about keeping some bees...maybe not then! Dont want any ducks or chickens eating them!! x

Posted 8 years ago #
  5. Hi Quax

We have got some bees & the honey is very special from your own bees.

I think you have to have the right temperament to keep bees - everything has to be done calmly and gently.

The other issue is time - they do need quite a bit of time - at regular intervals - a bit like an allotment I suppose!

The sections are quite heavy when full of honey (I think it is 30 pounds)- so you have to be strong enough to lift them off and not bang them down on the hive.

Bees are very interesting!

HTH!

Posted 8 years ago #
  6. pinkpoultry

TopVeg do you have poultry? x

Posted 8 years ago #
  7. As a newcomer to this group I can offer a little advice having kept bees and poultry for the last 25 years, first in Surrey and now in Shropshire. I am not aware of any poultry being stung in that time. We had a young cat who, briefly, took to snoozing on the top of a hive but when he appeared with a very 'Roman' nose, he gave up that sunbathing spot rather quickly! The dogs firmly go to bed whenever I get my bee suit out of the cupboard with a reproachful eye.

The attached photo actually shows my father's beehives in Suffolk sometime in the 1930's or 1940's. http://yfrog.com/h274h3j

Posted 8 years ago #
  8. Hi PP - we have guinea fowl & did have hens - never had a problem with bee stings (that we know of!).
    Croft-CottageBB - love the photo - looks just like my father-in-law's hives do now - he even has the bricks on top!(& used to have the chickens!)

Posted 8 years ago #
  9. Mama

Hi all, We do not have hives but do have a beekeeper about half a mile away . We did have a goose that got stung in her mouth last summer but can't say it was one of the bee keepers bees . Lovely photo BB. Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 8 years ago #
  10. quax

This is very interesting, thanks for the info. We are still thinking about getting bees, but not just yet, need to sort out work first.

Rachel
    Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.