Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Technical Information

Features on Farming Friends Forum

(18 posts)

1. Hi All,
    In the next month I would like to develop the farmingfriends forum with features that will help to improve the forum for all of us who use it.

Sarah and Mo have mentioned having a search facility.

What other features would you like on the forum to make using it easier and better?

I know that private messaging has been mentioned in the past as well as having a photo upload facility.

Let me know what you would like to see on here.

Thanks for your input.
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. Omegaman

Hi Sara
    I think a photo upload facility would be most useful, and even short video clips if at all possible. I don't know what the memory storage implications would be but a clear directive on maximum photo size or video length could help.
    Perhaps a contributors "Photo Gallery" would be an idea as I often have a picture to share but it is just not worth starting a new thread for the one picture.
    Can I just say, Sara, that this is already a great site and any further additions to it's flexibility and use would be fantastic
    Regards
    Ken

Posted 9 years ago #
  3. Hi Ken,
    Thanks for your suggestions.
    Yes that's a good idea to give directive on photo size as I resize all the photos to pixel width of 400 and under 50kb quality (I'll check that's the right term when I edit my next photo!).

If you have videos on youtube then you can add them here in the video gallery http://farmingfriends.com/forums/forum.php?id=21 and they will play following these instructions

1. Upload your video to a site such as http://www.youtube.com
    2. Left click on the 'URL' box, right click and copy
    3. Go to discussion forum post, right click and paste
    4. Publish post and that's it!

Thanks for the compliment I am so glad that you like the site.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  4. what can I say your already better than facebook as we all share the same interest, im sure some of my friends on there have hid me as they get fed up of my ducks, i dont have chickens or geese so love learning and hearing about them so yes photos that would help people to know what their post is about would be great
    bet you wish you could charge us for this you would be rich in no time x

mo x
    Posted 9 years ago #
  5. quax

I aggree with the photo thing, being able to upload our own would be good. Could there be a facility for advertising stuff such as shows, markets or maybe even products/produce or would that just be a bit too ebayish?
    Either way, I find this forum simply the best!! So informative and friendly!
    Rachel

Rachel
    Posted 9 years ago #
  6. just a thought and a very cheeky one at that, but as Sallie has been so good at advicing on medical issues, perhaps we could have a Doctor Sallie link, basic first aid tips ie ticks, abcesses and bee stings, then when we have an emergancy we don't have to wait in panic for someone to see and answer our worries x

mo x
    Posted 9 years ago #
  7. Mama

That's a brill idea Mo. If Sallie has the time it really would be a help. Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 9 years ago #
  8. sallie

Hi All,
    Happy to have an advice link. Sara knows my email address so if it is urgent she can email me as I don't always have time to log on. I try to visit each day to catch up though so go for it!!!
    Best Wishes
    Sallie.

Posted 9 years ago #
  9. good on you Sallie thanks for your advice so far x

mo x
    Posted 9 years ago #
  10. Mama

Thanks Sallie ,very kind. I may never have another problem but forwarned is forarmed.Your advise has been invaluable. Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 9 years ago #
  11. Hi All,
    Thanks so much for all your suggestions. I will start to develop some of them in the coming weeks.
    I have created a Photo Gallery section where I will upload photos for you or you can add links to photos you have added to facebook or photobucket etc. http://farmingfriends.com/forums/forum.php?id=25

I have created a technical Information section so that if you have any technical questions or suggestions regarding the forum then you can leave them there. http://farmingfriends.com/forums/forum.php?id=24

I have created an animal ailments and illnesses advice centre for a place to ask advice about your animals ailments and illnesses http://farmingfriends.com/forums/forum.php?id=26

Signatures - You can create a signature which will be posted each time you post to the forum. This could be just your name or it could be a link to your website (if you have one) or group on facebook or your twitter page etc Go to your profile and then edit and then add your signature in the box provided.

Well I've made a start at least!

Thanks for all the lovely comments about the forum, it wouldn't be possible without all of you so thanks from me for making this a great forum.
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  12. wow you have been busy and no thank you for starting this site in the first place x

mo x
    Posted 9 years ago #
  13. campbell ridge
    Administrator

It's great to see it reaches out across the world too! well done Sara, you're a star. :)

So will this be a photo gallery like on the facebook FF?

Sarah L
    Posted 9 years ago #
  14. Mama

How on earth do you make the time to do all this for us . Thank you, Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 9 years ago #
  15. Hi Mo,
    Thanks for your kind words.
    Hi Sarah,
    I am hoping that we can have a gallery where you can upload your own images but that does have implications for the server so I am looking for a plugin compatible with the forum software that will allow photo uploads and will resize them to a specific size!
    Hi Mama,
    Not sure where I find the time what with the animals, my part-time job and running the farmingfriends website and generally being a farmer's wife, oh and now about to have kitchen knocked down & re-built with no cooker, hot water or washing machine!!!!!

Will keep you posted on features as I add them!
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  16. campbell ridge
    Administrator

You could of course restrict the photos to FF on facebook then they are not duplictaed and it would make it a little easier for you to keep on top of stuff. You may be overrun with photos and most of us use the facebook site anyway.
    Don't want to run you ragged particularly if you have to fend of timewasters, selling drugs, wedding dresses and shoes!
    x

Sarah L
    Posted 9 years ago #
  17. good Point Sarah we are in danger of duplicating ourselves there
    Sara will be worth it when you have your nice new kitchen x

mo x
    Posted 9 years ago #
  18. Mama

What , New kitchen, I am Jealous. My son is just going through that and he is not happy. Builder still not finished and twins wanting to play in the garden .No hot water or washer is not nice, sure most of us have been there and do sympathise Do let us know how yours is going and would like a link to the lingerie thing you do .
    Thanks for all your hard work Sara . Mama.x

Goose Girl
    Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.