Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Animal Ailments & Illnesses Advice Centre

Sick Guinea

(6 posts)

1. Artemis

This spring we got 6 guineas, 6 chickens and 3 geese for our hobby farm. About 5 days ago my husband noticed one of our guineas falling over. It looked like he was drunk. He would take a few steps and fall over. A few days have passed and we do not know what to do. He can fly a few feet in the air, and he can walk or run a few feet and then fall over. His flock has abandoned him. He still eats and drinks. When he is laying down he is wobbling his head like he is dizzy. Nobody else is showing signs of being sick. 2 days ago he went missing. We found him the next day soaked and shivering. I brought him inside and warmed him up with a heater, but as a result we have placed him in a large dog cage where he is resting. He still eats and drinks, but I am at a complete lost of what to do. We don't want to put him down because he seems like he wants to live because he still has a good appetite. I am at a complete loss as to what to do for him. He was born last spring from my aunt's flock. We have been feeding the flock chicken scratch. This is our first time having poultry and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. Hi Artemis,
    Welcome to the farmingfriends forum. I am sorry to hear about your male guinea fowl. It sounds like it could be botulism / limber neck. Botulism is a form of poisoning from rotting vegetation or spoiled feed.
    This link may be useful http://www.guineafowlinternational.org/forum/index.php?id=8763

It says here to "Physical Treatments
    Squirt cool water into crop twice daily
    Flush with molasses or Epsom salts – molasses (1 pint/5 gal water),
    Epsom salt (1 lb/15 lbs. feed or 1 lb/5gal water for 1 day
    Give oral fluid therapy with activated charcoal"

http://www.poultryhelp.com/botulism.html

Hope your male guinea fowl gets better, sounds like he is a fighter and in good hands.

Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  3. Artemis

Thank you so much Sara for the speed reply. Like I said this is our first time with guineas and we were desperate for some type of help. I am worried about how much time has past for my little guy. He still eating and drinking and I am going to start treatment immediately, but I am not familiar with this illness. Is there a good chance that he might recover, or am I going to be dealing with the results of this sickness.
    Once again thank you.

Posted 9 years ago #
  4. Hi Artemis,
    Are you able to phone a vet and get their advice over the phone. I have found that poultry ailments and illnesses are sometimes hard to self diagnose.
    I have been keeping guinea fowl for 6 years now and I have found that generally guinea fowl seem to be quite a healthy breed (my oldest guinea fowl are 6-7 years old), keets can die sometimes due to pasting up if not spotted quickly enough or from coccidiosis but the adults tend to be very healthy. they may get the odd limp due to a scratch which can lead to bumble foot. I have sometimes seen one day that a guinea fowl is off colour and the next day they may have recovered or died, it can be that quick without warning but that doesn't happen very often thankfully.
    Coccidiosis http://farmingfriends.com/coccidiosis-in-guinea-fowl/ is a big thing to watch out for in guinea fowl. What colour and consistency are the droppings as this can be an indication to the illness.
    Hope your guinea improves.
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  5. Artemis

I just want to say thank you for all the great advise. Life has been busy but I wanted you to know that the sick guinea is 100% better, and is running with his flock again. Thank you so much!!

Posted 8 years ago #
  6. Hi Artemis, That's great news, so pleased for you and the guinea!!
    Have a good weekend.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.