Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Turkeys

turkey chick stops eating and drinking

(5 posts)

1. mwkfloyd730

I have a small turkey chick (old enough to have flight feathers and some tail feathers, down everywhere else) that was given to me a day or so ago. Despite a lot of crying for companionship, it had been eating well until yesterday when it settled down to preen and spent the rest of the day resting. It did not cry as much so I assumed that it was settling in.

I began to notice at midday, that it was not eating well. It would wander over to its food and look at it but turn away without eating. I let it sleep with me for warmth and comfort. I changed its litter, food and water. It is not failing fast but it is not as vigorous as the first couple of days and still not eating well.

It has almost stopped defecating, which supports my concern that it is not eating enough. What can be done to get it eating again?

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. OHME

I am sorry to hear that the chick is having a struggle. I am new to raising chickens, but from the reading I've done could maybe offer that assuming your chick's not suffering from a physical malady, it might be lonely.

I've heard that getting a companion chick is helpful. I've also read of folks who hang a mirror in with a solitary chick, or place a small stuffed animal in with it.

Obviously, hydration is essential. Keep an eye on its vent to make sure it's not pasted closed.

I hope that you find some knowledgeable assistance and that your chick survives!

Best wishes, maureen in Maine

Posted 6 years ago #
  3. mwkfloyd730

Thanks, Maureen in Maine. The chick's vent is fine. It is preening now-a good sign in parrots so I am suppose it would be true for turkeys. I will give it more attention. Another chick would be hard to find at the moment. It lost it's former companion, another turkey chick suddenly and had two interim friends, guinea keets, but was separated from them to give to me. Marsha

Posted 6 years ago #
  4. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi Marsha,
    I keep ducks but I think your problem may be loneliness.
    Turkeys are a flock bird and having come from a group of 4 birds now down to one, must be causing the stress resulting in not eating. It needs lots of attention from you or better still, a new companion. Failing that, a soft toy for company.
    Like ducks and chickens, it's not an animal that will do well on its own.
    Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 6 years ago #
  5. Mama

Sarah is right , They are all flock birds and really need company of some sort . Best wishes Mama.

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.