Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Wildlife

Chased a fox away at 10.30am as it was eyeing up my poultry

(7 posts)

Tags:

1. Hi all,
    Well I could here my guinea fowl making a right racket at about 10.30am and I looked out the window to see a fox bold as brass standing in the newly cut neighbouring field, she was feasting her eyes on 4 ducks, 1 drake, and 14 guinea fowl who were all in the field. I dashed out in my slippers and chased her off, not easy in slippers!
    All ducks, hens and guinea fowl present and correct and nowin their huts for the rest of the day!
    What drama! Didn't have time to get photo of the fox, it's the closest I've been to a fox before, certainly got the adrenalin pumping!
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. Mama

Oh Crumbs Sara, Would like to have seen you chasing a fox in your slippers!! Fortunate you were there. They are lovely creatures but not when we have birds. Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 9 years ago #
  3. wow you are having trouble seems now they found food they will keep coming back, not sure what your going to be able to do x

mo x
    Posted 9 years ago #
  4. Omegaman

Hi Sara
    I take it that the ducks and guinea fowl are still locked up today (...do they mind?) but I would be interested to know what you will be doing with them tomorrow and what other "countermeasures" you have planned in case the fox comes back
    Regards
    Ken

Posted 9 years ago #
  5. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi Sara
    Do you have electric fencing? is this any good against foxes? My ducks make a hell of a noise when one approached a few weeks ago. I'm not sure if it eyed them up and thought it wasn't worth the aggro, or if it was me coming out to see what the racket was about that sent it on its way.
    S

Sarah L
    Posted 9 years ago #
  6. Lorna

Hi Sarah

Sorry to hear about the fox. Well done in chasing it away, it was maybe just an opportunist one looking for a chance, it was a good job you were there.
    The electric fencing seems to be a good idea as Sara said, also is there a tall wall or fence where the ducks and other poultry are are? someone said to me that they need to be over 6ft tall as they can scale smaller and electrically fenced all around the bottom, they are an awful nusiance. I know it will offend some folks but I would agree with a cull of them which was mentioned after the babies were injured in London.

Best Wishes
    Lorna.

Posted 9 years ago #
  7. Hi All,
    If I hadn't been so concerned about the poultry I would have grabbed my camera and taken a photo of the fox, but my flock's safety came first. i did think the fox was beautiful, first time I have seen one so close. What was amazing though was the guinea fowl didn't fly up into the trees. I usually defend my birds saying they are very clever learning a routine, knowing which plants to nibble at and which to leave alone, recognising my voice, but I have to say how silly not flying to safety, they all just stood there and called out very loudly, which I'm glad they did call out as it made me look out the window and then dash out of the house. Even my hubby came to see what all the comotion was when he heard me shouting go away to the fox!
    Hi Mo, I think the fox was getting desperate for food to be on the prowl at 10.30am as I have only been letting the guinea fowl, hens and ducks out from about 9am til 1pm, which I think has been stopping the fox getting any poultry. She hasn't taken a guinea fowl since sunday so must be getting desperate.
    Hi Ken, Yes the ducks and guinea fowl and hens have been kept in the hut since the fox sighting. The guinea fowl rounded up easy to go in the hut and two of the hens met me at their hut to go in. The ducks didn't want to go in though.
    All seemed ok once in the barn/hut.
    I haven't decided what to do tomorrow yet, may keep them all in for a few days.
    Hi Sarah,
    No I don't have electric fencing to keep the foxes out as I don't restrict the area that the poultry can roam. They have access to the fields on all sides of the house and the lane. Problem is the crops growing and the guinea fowl laying in the hedgerow and the fox creeps up and can't be seen due to crops and then it's too late.
    I think that electric fencing can be effective, my friend has fenced her hens into a large area and uses electric fencing and the foxes seem to stay away.
    Hi Lorna,
    The ducks, guinea fowl and hens free range all over the farm and are not penned into an area so there isn't a wall as such.

I only said to my hubby the other day that the field where the fox was today was the safe field as there are no crops growing in it and I have never had any guinea fowl disappear in that field. I wonder whether the fox was lurking and heard my comments!!!
    She just didn't reckon on me being in the living room and hearing all the racket!

I wonder what animal dramas will occur tomorrow, hope that it's uneventful!
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.