Farming Friends Forum » Introductions

Hello From Canada!

(15 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by Farmer Em
  • Latest reply from SCarruth

Tags:

1. Farmer Em

Hello Everyone,

I've just joined and really like what I've been reading so far.

Along with my husband and his family weoperate a dairy farm, milking about 50 registered Holstein cattle. We cash crop, wheat, soybeans and corn. On our own farm, my husband and I have, 2 horses, a miniature donkey, 2 guinea hens and a flock of chickens (laying hens) which consists of Plymouth Rock, Columbian Rock x Red Sex Link, Rhode Island Red, and a Rhode Island Red rooster (as well as a few others who's breed I'm not entirely sure of!). We have the mandatory barn cats (3), and a good ol' farm dog - who spends more time sleeping in our bed than anywhere else.

We also enjoy gardening and grow as many of our own veggies as wel can during our short growing season.

Glad to be here and look forward to meeting you all!

Farmer Em

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. Omegaman

Hi Farmer Em
    I am sure you will get a proper welcome from Sara who runs this site but I just wanted to say hello. I am sure you will have already seen (...but Sara won't say it) that this is a great site populated by friendly people with a variety of animals who are only too pleased to offer advice and share their experiences.
    Your farm sounds quite big. Are you in a lowland region or higher up in the hills?
    Kind regards
    Ken

Posted 9 years ago #
  3. hi Farmer Em, im Maureen I live in Oxfordshire England all I have is 5 ducks in the garden, Kens right we are a friendly bunch on here, some times we just share a laugh and as you will of seen are there for each other if we need help or advice x

mo x
    Posted 9 years ago #
  4. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hello Em,
    welcome aboard! Best forum for creature comforts and queries.
    Regards,
    Sarah L

Sarah L
    Posted 9 years ago #
  5. Mama

Hello Em, I am in France and you will be made most welcome by our lovely leader Sara, and us . We are all fans and could not do without this site. I have chickens and geese and also had ducks. Hope you find all the answers to your questions here. Regards Mama.

Goose Girl
    Posted 9 years ago #
  6. sallie

Hi Em, As everyone has said this is a lovely website and everyone is so helpful and willing to go the extra mile to help it possible.
    I am from East Sussex and have 8 dogs, 12 Quail and a horse. I used to have Indian Runner ducks too but gave them up as they were offered a lovely home on a farm. My dogs are all workers, 3 labradors, 1 Jack Russell and 4 Lakeland Terriers. Mainly used for beating and picking up on a pheasant shoot. The horse is one I bred, she is now 16 but still has her 3 year old sense of humour which includes fly bucks. The quail are lovely and so friendly, they live in the garden in the old dog run. Lots of lovely eggs at the moment.
    Hope to see you on the forum (not for problems!!!)
    Best wishes
    Sallie.

Posted 9 years ago #
  7. Mama

Sallie , You have quail!! are they easy to keep and look after as my son would like a small fowl to keep, really for his boys to see and care for. He only has a very small garden.Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 9 years ago #
  8. Hi Farmer Em,
    Welcome to the forum. I am Sara and I am a farmer's wife living on a farm in Yorkshire. I have 5 cats, 18 guinea fowl, 7 ducks, 40 quail and 4 hens. We have beef cattle and grow arable crops. My hubby makes vintage tractor dvds to help with engine rebuilds etc as well as farms.
    We have a small orchard and a small veg patch. Life is good.
    Look forward to hearing all about your animals and your farming.

Hi Mama,
    Quail are easy to keep but they are quite easily spooked. Not sure they are suitable for young children - not sure how old your grandchildren are (Only say this as I have seen the results of over enthusiastic children on quail - had some quail given to me that were limping after being kept as pets for children but I think one of the children was only a toddler and may have been abit heavy handed when trying to pet them and the other child was about 8 years old and she got bored of the quail.)
    Quail can't really free range as they would fly off. They can be kept in an aviary. Quail don't have the characters that hens and ducks do and are not as robust - they are quiet natured birds (males are agressive in their mating!). Quail are mature from 6 weeks and the females will lay from 6-8 weeks. The eggs only take about 17 days to hatch. A good idea might be to get your son and grandchildren to incubate quail eggs and hatch them out as this is not a long process and quail are relatively easy to hatch out in comparison to ducks and guinea fowl. If it's your son that lives close to me then if they found that the quail were not suitable then I could take the quail. Just a thought.
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  9. anitopia

Hi there Em,

I don't have any livestock etc but am working on it!! Living in Hampshire, UK.

I do have 3 dogs, 5 cats, 17 guinea pigs and one little Egyptian Spiney mouse.

I work on a goat small holding and feed peoples pets, dog walk etc and also have a small allotment.

Also love making jams and chutneys with my own little twist. Currently about to make Cucumber and Borage flower jam.

Posted 9 years ago #
  10. quax

Hi Farmer Em, welcome to our fun site!!
    Everyone is so helpful and knowledgeable and what we don't know, we look up!
    I live in Cornwall with just 5 ducks and 2 cats, (1 husband and 1 son) I'm about to embark on incubating some of our eggs to see what happens and will then sell the ducklings at a local farmers market. It's very exciting!
    Rachel

Rachel
    Posted 9 years ago #
  11. sallie

Hi Mama, Sorry didn't notice your post. Yes quail are very easy, well mine are! They can be spooky but soon get used to you. I wouldn't say they are hand tame but mine don't worry about the dogs playing tag around their pen. I keep mine in a 6 x 12 ft dog run with mesh sides and a netting top to stop them flying out! The only thing I would say is that the males can be quite noisy. I had to cull one last week as he was calling all day. You don't need a male though so your son could get just females, they make a lovely soft call. No problems with neighbours about that sound. I love having the quail and wouldn't swap them for anything else. Mine don't spook at all unless a rat appears. Tell your son to go for it but don't expect the quail to come and sit with his son although he may get them to hand feed. Eggs are a bonus.
    Best wishes
    Sallie.

Posted 9 years ago #
  12. muraty

hi . . .
    em a newbie here in this forum . . . sorry if em posting in the wrong thread . . . !!!
    looking forward to get some useful info from this forum and making some good friends as well . . . have a nice day

Posted 9 years ago #
  13. sallie

Hi Muraty. Welcome to the forum. What animals do you have? There are various tags relating to ducks, quail, chickens etc plus problem solving.
    Best wishes
    Sallie.

Posted 9 years ago #
  14. Anonymous
    Unregistered

HI em,i am dave ,and my son andrew,we have two call ducks, 40 fish and a lionhead rabbit, we live in carlisle cumbria. the folks on here are magic, good luck,dave.

Posted 8 years ago #
  15. SCarruth

Hi Farmer Em,

I am also new to this Forum and I love, love, love it!! You will find so much information here and everyone is so very helpful with whatever questions you may have. I have six ducks: two Swedish Blues, two Cayugas and two Khaki Campbells that are quite the characters of the group... Welcome to this wonderful Forum and look forward to future exchanges...BTW, I live in Central Maine.

Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.