Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Pets Corner

Any ideas on interacting kitten with 2 older cats in the house

(9 posts)

1. Lorna

Hi All

About 3 wks ago I discovered a stray semi feral cat had 4 kittens in one of my old pigsheds. I have managed to get one of the kittens out and it has been in the house with me for about 5 days now, it is doing well, but naturally my older ones who are a bit spoiled have got their noses knocked out of joint. The kitten I would say is between 5 and 6 wks old,I have just got it in time before it has turned feral.
    The kitten is able to use litter tray and is a very good wee soul, I keep her in a dog pen at night and cover it with blanket to keep the other ones from seeing her.

Has anyone also any ideas what I can do about the other remaining kittens, I am not fit to keep so many. All the animal welfare organisatins here in Northern Ireland do not really want to know including the CPL, I have had a terrible time just trying to sort a cat trap to get the Mum spayed.
    I had tried to get her in basket/carrier for last Friday but could not, I am exhausted and stressed out with the whole thing.

Thanks
    Lorna

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. anitopia

Sounds like you are doing it all right and well done you for caring and trying to get Mum spayed and breaking the cycle of unwanted kittens.

Most older cats tend to accept a kitten as they shouldn't feel threatened by it but the little devils can be a bit too much sometimes so some kitten free time for your other cats is a great idea. I have fostered kittens before and my already residents cats just either love them or put up with them!!

I am in Hampshire but have two ex semi-feral Irish kittens who are now 4 years old which a rescue here took via a rescue in Ireland but I know the rescues over there don't have a good track record in general with cats but then they are all so up to their limits everywhere.

I also have an Irish rescue dog called Heather. She wasn't the right looking dog to be re-homed in Ireland so came to a rescue here and then to me.

Posted 9 years ago #
  3. Hi Lorna,
    I am not sure where abouts you are in Northern Ireland.

I did a google search for rehoming feral kittens and got http://www.rainbowrehoming.com/index.html

http://www.animalrescuers.co.uk/html/centresgeneral.html

http://www.catchat.org/adoption/irelandu.html

Hope you get the kittens sorted. I know that some town councils or cat protection charities in England are rehoming feral cats on farms. http://farmingfriends.com/feral-cats-rehomed-to-act-as-pest-control/ http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8410491.stm

Best Wishes
    Sara

Posted 9 years ago #
  4. quax

Hi Lorna, you must be fed up, it sounds as if you are doing all the right things.
    We got a new kitten when one of our cats was killed, our older cat was NOT happy about this. So we kept them separate for a couple of weeks, then gradually introduced them to each other, after a while our older cat (who is 4) tolerated the kitten and then after a few months they are now good friends, will sleep on the same bed and sometimes even lick each other. So I imagine your kitten will very gradually be accepted.
    Rachel

Rachel
    Posted 9 years ago #
  5. bluducati

Hi Lorna
    You are trying to do the right thing by the mother and the rest of her kittens, the RSPCA will help but you need to keep onto them, if you threaten to ring your locale radio station up to tell them they wont help, some how they will turn up lucky we have Diana Lewis in North Devon, one call and she is there for people, The rspca do have traps for catching cats as the farm across the road from us got them in to sort there feral cats out they caught all them all neutered them all and put them back again

im sure your older cats will accept this kitten given time, you can pick up a small bottle of Feliway its very good at calming as it will give out the same smell you just spray it where your cats go and lay down, you can pick it up from your vets also you can put a drop of rescue remedy in there water from health food shops or pharmacist, to introduce older cats can be a big problem;
    but we find kittens normally settle in just fine, i have been showing Birman Cats for 15 years and some of my kittens have gone where there was an older cat in the house with out a problem, i should spray a bit of feliway about then let the kitten out and just watch them they may his and spit a bit to start of with but will get fed up of it, mine range from 15 years down to two years old,they are all neutered apart from my two young girls. we have a web site bluducati-birmans.co.uk. there are a couple of links which may help you but mostly are breeders. Regards Sue,

Posted 9 years ago #
  6. bluducati

for got to say you can try the Feline advisory Bureau http://www.fabcats.org/ they are very good at advising
    Regards Sue

Posted 9 years ago #
  7. Lorna

Hi Ladies

Thanks ever so much for all your comments, encouragement and the weblinks, it is very good of you to take the time. Yes I was thinking about Feliway as well. Sara I tried some of the links and I will contact one of the rescue centres mentioned in the next day or two. I had tried the first one Rainbow 2 wks ago but they could do nothing. I am hoping the other one can visit and maybe collect. I do not drive due to a health condition, so it is not easy to get places.

I was able 2 days ago to get in touch with the pest control people for my area and they said they had cat traps and could help. I have to ring them again next week as there is holidays here Mon and Tues in N Ireland.

The kitten is doing OK, I had to get some tablets for it as it has a bit of a cold, it took them very well!! The older ones are not doing so bad now. I think because kitten runs and dashes around and comes up behind them they are a bit scared, it is funny in ways to watch them. I had introduced other ones in the past and they did OK eventually, so hopefuly this will be the same.

Best Wishes
    Lorna

Posted 9 years ago #
  8. Lorna

Hi All
    UPDATE

Have now got Mummy cat to the Vet today for spay. I was so pleased to be able to get her in the pet carrier, I did not need trap as I thought it would not work anyway, it did not close and open trap right, it is a bit battered looking. I will be able ot collect cat later today.

I just put a duffle coat on and gardening gloves and put food down near carrier and some in it an I was determind and get her in, it was just great, you can tell I am pleased!!

I still have to sort somewhere for the other remaining kittens. The one in house is doing OK, the older ones are starting to tolerate it a little.

Love
    Lorna.

Posted 8 years ago #
  9. quax

That's brilliant, you must have been whooping when you managed to get her in the carrier! Hope she copes at the vet OK.

Rachel
    Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.