Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Gardening

pond pumps and filters

(8 posts)

1. Sorry I know this has been covered before, but as some people have asked, I wanted to make sure this didn't get lost in what is becoming a very long, but interesting list
    My new duck pond is 2.5 meters square, with a shelf all around the edge and the main area is 2 1/2 foot deep.The pump is an Oase Aquamax Eco Start 3500, the Filter is an Oasis Clear pond 25, 7 stage filter
    The 5 ducks have been in the pond only since Saturday and today is Thursday, but so far i'm thrilled, yesterday I cleaned all the brushes and sponges in the filter, ok not a great job, but I can still see the bottom of the pond including the bits of gravel they have managed to drop in it, I think that is a result.
    I feel confident that what was a weekly clean and drain on the old pond will not be needed with this one, saving both time and water, both valuble
    Mo x

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  2. well, yes one week on and i will not be having to drain and clear the pond, i can still see the bottom and everything is running fine, and i have not had to touch the pump at all
    brilliant
    Mo x

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  3. campbell ridge
    Administrator

well done Mo, this sounds like a winning combination. Keep us posted as to how it keeps performing as this sounds very promising,
    S

Sarah L
    Posted 6 years ago #
  4. hate to keep going on about this
    Actually NO IM NOT im dead chuffed...2 weeks on and I can still see the bottom of my pond haha
    Mo x

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  5. quax

I'm impressed Mo, our pump is doing well but our water it still really murky, we can only see a couple of inches down!
    Rachel

Rachel
    Posted 6 years ago #
  6. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Does it make a difference because Mo put hers into clean water and Rachel you put yours into water hoping to clear it or did you empty yours too?
    What a bout the size of the pond, is this a determining factor?
    S

Sarah L
    Posted 6 years ago #
  7. quax

We tend to empty our pond (which is about 10 ft X 5ft and 3ft deep) to about 1 foot deep (as there are still fish in it, suprisingly, God knows how they've survived). This we do about once a month (we used to do it more regularly, but it didn't make much difference to the murkiness) and then re-fill with clean water. I think the bottom still has some sludge and the ducks obviously add to that regularly. We tried Aquaplanaton which made no difference. So now we are just trying to keep the water moving, but I don't think it will ever be really clean as the ducks still go in it every day. They have another pond (smaller) which I empty more regularly. On many occastion I've been tempted to fill in the bigger pond, but they love the deepness of it. We shall just have to see how it goes I thnk.
    Rachel

Rachel
    Posted 6 years ago #
  8. ahh theres your problem then, i have two ponds one with fish in and one for ducks, yes mine started with clean water,it does get battered by grass leaves food and of course the dreaded poo but the pump and filter so far cope with it, each time your ducks swim they will stir up all the sludge from the bottom so sorry dont think yours will get much cleaner,

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.