can anyone help me. i have a very poorly gosling, she's been through a lot. she was half blind when we had her at 2 weeks but despite this she has grown well and become a somewhat clumsy member of our family. she is 11 weeks now and lives on our allotment plot with our other geese and ducks. a few days ago we had a break in at our allotment and the front had been torn off our duck and goose house and several geese and ducks were missing including our lovely 'dipsey'. we found dipsy several hours later in a barrel of dirty, muddy, stagnent water, it seemed that the thieves realised that there was somthing wrong with her and had tried to drown her. she spent two days in our home while she recovered and when we were sure she was alright we returned her to her friends(and new more secure house) she has been down there for 2 days now (4 days since the incident) but this afternoon we went to go and give them their evening meal and put them in their home we found her wallowing in the mud she had fallen over and was unable to right herself, her back seems to be bent her head limp. when we stood her on her feet, she seemed to be tripping over her feet. we have brought her home and she seems to be eating and drinking without any problem, but when she stands her wings ann neck seem a little limp, and she is still tripping over her feet because of the way her back is bent. can anyone tell me what it could be, a friend has said it may be Botulism and to give her clean water and keep her warm, but she keeps chickens and i just wanted someone elses opinion. please help as we would be devistated to loose her.
help!!! i have a very poorly gosling(2 posts)
Welcome the farmingfriends forum. I am so sorry to hear about your break in and the illtreatment of your geese and ducks. Some people are just so cruel.
It does sound like Dipsey has botulism which she may have got from the stagnant water. The bateria is called Clostridium botulnum and I have read in the Poultry & Waterfowl problems book by Michael Roberts that there is an anti-toxinthat you can give your goose, but you will have to get this from your vet. I would phone them and explain what happened and say you suspect botulism. I think you need to act fast and I don't mean to scare you but I have read that mortality is high with botulism.
Hope she is ok.
Sara @ farmingfriends
You must log in to post.