Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Ducks

Clipping Wings...

(24 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by SCarruth
  • Latest reply from quackers1984

1. SCarruth

Does anyone clip duck wings? I haven't and I don't dare to...but, people have asked me if I am going to do that so they don't fly away...one of my friends doesn't think I have to do that because he has never had a problem with them sustaining any height to fly away....anyone? ~Sharon

Posted 8 years ago #
  2. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Yours won't fly away Sharon, they are too heavy. Domestic ducks have been bred for meat and weight so their wings can't take them very far. Mallards and the smaller breeds like calls can fly and might need clipping but they know when they are well cared for and are unlikely to fly off.
    s

Sarah L
    Posted 8 years ago #
  3. SCarruth

lol...thanks Sarah, pretty much what my friend Lloyd said to, but I had to ask!

Posted 8 years ago #
  4. queenie

Hi Sharron, I keep call ducks which are quite small and we do have to clip their wings, it is very easy ,but as Sarah says your heavy ducks won't go anywhere,I don't think mine would they are to happy to come into the kitchen to see whats going off, even mums bring their ducklings in .
    Liz

Posted 8 years ago #
  5. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Call ducks sound so friendly and the easiest to tame :)
    S

Sarah L
    Posted 8 years ago #
  6. SCarruth

Hi Liz,

Oh, I would love to get mine to come into the house...they are curious, but still really haven't taken the initiative to come up to the door...they come close and peer in to see what kind of coop this is! lol

This morning my hubby said he saw one of my Khaki Campbells fly in the pen up to the door and then drop to the ground...do I need to be concerned????

Posted 8 years ago #
  7. campbell ridge
    Administrator

No :)

They can get about 8 ft across the ground at 2ft high or 5 ft upwards for about 4 ft. they can't fly over a fence more than 4ft high but might try if they are scared.

S

Sarah L
    Posted 8 years ago #
  8. hi Sharon during some freak loud winds the other day one of my boys tried to clear the 6 foot fence to their pen but didnt manage, mine will take off and fly a short distance on their way from the shed to the pond in the mornings, they just need to learn how to land now as they do tend to crash land with a bump
    Mo

mo x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  9. quax

LOL! yours are just like mine Mo. Landing without style. Mine never go higher than a couple of feet off the ground and even that hasn't happened for some while. They sometimes run across the lawn at top speed flapping but haven't climbed up any ladders to see if they could fly!!!!!!!!! Yet!!

Rachel
    Posted 8 years ago #
  10. Joan Stanley

Adult Muscovy ducks fly if you dont clip a wing. Same as chicken.... Dont clip both wings or they will still fly. The idea is put them off balance.

Posted 8 years ago #
  11. SCarruth

Hi Mo....that is too funny! My Khaki is a pretty persistant one...she/he (don't know yet) keeps letting me know that she can fly!! OY...

Posted 8 years ago #
  12. Anonymous
    Unregistered

HI,the guy i got my call ducks from said , a good windy day can lift them up, i thought he ment if they were depressed, i said a good elvis song does it for me,lol

Posted 8 years ago #
  13. campbell ridge
    Administrator

lol Dave

Sarah L
    Posted 8 years ago #
  14. Mama

Hilarious, Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 8 years ago #
  15. bluducati

Ho Sarah
    I think our call ducks need to have there wing clipped as they flew four foot above the six foot fence this morning,so worried they will come down the other side of the fence to get to the small wild life pond at the bottom of the garden,we don't trust our whippet dog, I have clipped a chickens wing long time ago is it the same for ducks? can advise on a book to show you how?
    Sue

Posted 8 years ago #
  16. Mama

Hi Sue, Yes I have done both but to be honest it was not necessary as my chucks and grew they were too heavy to fligh high. It is the same principle for all birds, I believe, just one wing to off balance them. You can get pics on the net if you just ask how to clip wing feathers . Good luck and do hope they don't fly away. Regards Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 8 years ago #
  17. queenie

Hi Sue,I just clip one wing on my calls , When they flap their wings they sort of tip-toe around in a circle because they are off ballance. It is quite easy to do once you know how. as mama said the internet is good for info just google clipping duck wings.
    Liz

Posted 8 years ago #
  18. campbell ridge
    Administrator

There you go :) http://www.cornerstonefarm.net/wingdemo.html

Sarah L
    Posted 8 years ago #
  19. SCarruth

Thank you for the link...I am going to go check it out. ~Sharon

Posted 8 years ago #
  20. SCarruth

My hubby took the ducks ramp apart and stapled carpeting on hoping that it would prevent any more soreness to their legs...now, they fly out of the coop! Suppose they are scared of the carpet? Anyone?

Posted 8 years ago #
  21. Hi Sharon,
    Yes they will be scared of the carpet to begin with, they should get used to it. but anything new and oput of place can scare them, especially if brightly coloured!
    Good idea though to stop them getting sore feet.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  22. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi Sharon, I was wondering if the coop has got a wooden base or mesh as this can really give ducks sore feet.
    We had a mat down on a really muddy patch last winter, and mine flew over it too!
    S

Sarah L
    Posted 8 years ago #
  23. SCarruth

Hi Sarah, The coop has a wooden base to it. I think that they are scared of the carpet on the ramp... Your right Sara...mine seem to question anything new for a while, but hopefully they will get used to it pretty soon ;)

Posted 8 years ago #
  24. quackers1984

mine can fly half way across the garden, hes a miniature breed like a call so is rather good at flying, but only when excited!! i hope he wont leave xx

Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.