Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Ducks

Advice About Incubating Duck Eggs

(4 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by admin
  • Latest reply from campbell ridge

1. Hi All,

Just received this comment about Joanne's duck eggs that she would like to incubate.

"I have a pond with different heavy breed ducks, came home from vacation and found a dozen duck eggs scattered all around pond, is 7 to 10 days to late to start incubateing eggs. I looked to see if fertile and dont think I see anything, what do you suggest? Also if there in the water are they still good? HELP. Joanne"

I would say that eggs can be incubated when they are 7 days old. They can still be incubated when older than 7 days old but the fertility rate begins to decrease the older the egg.

If they have been in standing in water for long periods of time then they may not be viable as the water may have seeped through the porous shell and contaminated the egg.

Let me know what you would advise Joanne.
    Thanks
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. campbell ridge
    Administrator

No I don't think its wise. With the weather we have been having, they would be part baked by the heat and could be contaminated by the rain. Certainly not viable if they have been in the water as the shells get very brittle and wouldnt support an embryo.
    Be patient and start collecting fresh eggs from tomorrow.
    They can be stored in a cool place for up to 7 days at a constant cool temperature.
    Sarah L

Sarah L
    Posted 9 years ago #
  3. Hi Sarah,

Thanks for your advice I have just sent your comment to Joanne but in the meantime she has sent this reply to me.

"Ive left the eggs in a group, but it doesnt seem like anyone sits on them, should they be sitting on them 24/7 or it seems like they are moved were there turning them occasionally. Thanks for your help Joanne"

I have suggested that she marks these old eggs and only uses them as a means to getting the ducks to go broody and to lay in the nest.

Best wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  4. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi, I'm not sure I read the first bit correctly as I thought Joanne wanted to put them in an incubator?
    I presume there is daily mating as she thought none were fertile.

If they've been scattered about and not laid in a nest then the ducks arent interested in incubating them. The first sign that they will do this is when they start building a nest. In my experience, only then will they lay eggs in the nest.
    The eggs that have been left out unattended for this length of time really should be discarded. They will be non viable and or contaminated.
    Collect fresh ones daily and date them, if one of the ducks builds a nest within a week, then the freshly collected eggs can be added to the nest.
    Regards,
    Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.