Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Introductions

new member on the isle of wight XXX

(7 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by quackers1984
  • Latest reply from quax

1. quackers1984

hello my name is debbie and i live in totland on the isle of wight, im 25. I have a 1 year old aylesbury drake (donald)which we were given because he was being attacked by his previous owners runner duck drakes, a 14 week old campbell duck (daisy), 14 week old mini appleyard drake (daffy)(drake feather appeared a few days ago) and a 5 week old aylesbury we have named jamima who we hope is a girl (hasnt been vent sexed just guessed). i kept looking up things on the net about ducks and like to read some positive things about keeping ducks and help about them (daffy had a limp a while back) they live in my back garden, have a wooden house to sleep in, a paddling pool and love to eat freshly planted flowers he he. theyre all quackers and adorable!!

Posted 8 years ago #
  2. Hi Debbie, this is a great forum, and like your ducks we are all quackers and adorable so we should all get on fine, sounds like you have your hands full there, but you are in for loads of fun, although as you will have seen lots of worries too, mine are testing me at the moment as you have seen, but the people on here are great, if you have any problems that have not been covered ( ie Tags ) someone will be able to help x
    Mo

mo x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  3. quackers1984

thanks mo, i have already had little problems like a limp (which dissapeared after a few days) i was reading it up a lot on the net and decided to give it a few days before taking him to the vet, rest and time in the pool seemed to solve that problem. also a big ginger cat came in the garden a couple of times but the ducks went mad and i chased it away, i havent seen that cat for a couple of months now, i kept going to work and worrying but now i have 4 ducks i hope a cat wont try to take them on!

Posted 8 years ago #
  4. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi Debbie,
    sounds like you have everything under control. Nice to meet you. Ask away if you have any questions and we will do our best to help out.
    I have a friend who lives on IOW and she works at Brightstone Grange. She has daughters your age :)
    (that is assuming 1984 is your yob!)
    S

Regards,
    Sarah L

Sarah L
    Posted 8 years ago #
  5. Hi Debbie,
    I have 10 khaki campbells, an aylesbury or maybe it's a white campbell not sure, 2 runners, a cayuga, 2 buff orpington ducks, a mallard and 5 cats and the ducks will make a run at the cats if they get too close, which doesn't happen very often as the cats are more scared of the ducks than the other way round!
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  6. quackers1984

ah we would like a cayuga they look lovely all green and shiny but my garden isnt that big and my neighbour has the cottage next door as a holiday home and when hes there i have to wait until 9.00 in the morning to let them out, other wise they wake him up as he always leaves his window open!! so more ducks would be too noisy aswell, the old lady on the other side loves them tho!!

Posted 8 years ago #
  7. quax

Hi Debbie, I have 2 Khaki and 3 white campbells (1 drake and 4 ducks), they all live in my garden quite happily and I love them. We live in Cornwall with all the drizzle!! I'm currently await 9 eggs to hatch out in an incubator in a couple of days eek!! This is a great forum and you will always find someone who will be able to answer any worries you may have. Best wishes.

Rachel
    Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.