Farming Friends Forum » Sheep

Dangerous ram

(11 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Lorna
  • Latest reply from pinkpoultry

Tags:

1. Lorna

Hi

Does anyone know what could make a ram turn vicious?
    My Uncle got hurt with one recently and had to go to hopsital. He said it came charging down the field and he had no escape. He is older and would not be able to get away too quick. He said something about it being a super ram or crossed with something else(mule I assume). He rents the land to a farmer, so he does not own the sheep.

I thought maybe this ram was protecting the ewes or something.
    I must admit I am a bit scared of sheep when I see them all come running at once.

Regards
    Lorna

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. Hi Lorna, I will ask my hubby as he used to have sheep on the farm! Hubby has said that they are just vicious! If you stand very close to you they may be ok, but may head but you and they weigh 90kg to our 70kg, the problem comes when they start to back away from you, don't think that they are frightened they may be getting ready to charge at you!
    Hubby said farmer's tend to call the male sheep tups and we would call them rams but they are the same thing!
    Best Wishes
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 6 years ago #
  3. Lorna

Hi Sara

Thanks for that.

Love
    Lorna

Posted 6 years ago #
  4. sallie

Hi Lorna, my cousin had sheep and his rams were evil. If you turned your back they would have you. Front on they still threatened but not as badly. Not all sheep are ready to run away!!!
    Sallie

Posted 6 years ago #
  5. Lorna

Hi Sallie

Thanks for your comments, sounds like rams/tups are not a very nice animal to have.
    I remember watching a program either this year or last about the Victorian farm on BBC2 and the ram they had chosen for the flock was very placid, they had specially picked it as it would not be too rough with the ewes. I remember the man walking it almost like a labrador dog, maybe it depends on the breed, I do not know.

Regards
    Lorna.

Posted 6 years ago #
  6. I know this is an old post, but it made me smile and I'd like to add my comments! We breed rams (Hampshire Down) and they are all trained to walk by the side of the handler on a halter - this is for showing, but is really helpful when moving the ram between paddocks - to join the ewes, for example. However, rams are said to be the most dangerous farm animal: in nature, they will fight other rams for the priviledge of mating with the ewes by backing up then charging head-to-head - it's not unknown for rams to kill one another at this time. Their skulls are very thick, and a charging ram can do a tremendous amount of damage, so always treat them with respect and never turn your back on one!

Posted 6 years ago #
  7. Lorna

Hi Smallholder
    Thanks for the input, that is good to know. I spoke to someone a little while ago who shows sheep and he said they can be like you have described.

I will keep my distance certainly, although I am never near any as I do not have sheep. Good you are on here as you can help with the sheep dilemans/problems.

Besr Wishes
    Lorna.

Posted 6 years ago #
  8. Mama

Mo, I do hope you are going to read this. Regards ,Mama .

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  9. Hi Lorna, nice to hear from you :) I wouldn't like you to have the idea that rams are evil! We always have at least one stock ram on site, who shares the paddock with our old ram (Roger) and several youngsters, depending on the time of year and if we think we've bred any future superstars (!). I go into their paddock every day to feed them and check their water - I always keep an eye on them and never take silly risks, but more often than not, at least one comes over to have his chin tickled or to scratch his face on my clean jeans! They're peaceable by nature, but always think of them as testosterone-fuelled teenagers with the occasional 'mad-moment' that goes with it!

Posted 6 years ago #
  10. arableboy

they're just unpredictable like bulls just not known to be as dangerous owing to their smaller size.

Posted 6 years ago #
  11. pinkpoultry

Nope nope nope nope. The problem is that they are boys. Boys around girls, no matter what they are, sheep/cattle/ducks/horses/elephants/hamsters/HUMANS are all the same, show off bullies. They like violence rather than peace, and anyway to show off their "manliness" (ie. dunching someone!) then they will do it. Girl things are much nicer! One day peace will be resumed when AI takes over, no need for smelly boys, haha. x

Posted 6 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.