Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Farming

Russian winter farming?!

(5 posts)

1. newb84

Hi everyone!

I am trying to find out what a crop farmer in Russia in the early 20th century would have done during the winter months?? I guess this may apply to any areas which suffer very cold winters but I am struggling to find any info on this and I would really appreciate any help you could offer!

Thank you!

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. Would they have farmed anything? In Bulgaria where I spend half the year, they grow alot of cabbages to have during the winter but not a lot else. Animals are all brought inside. And Russian winter far more harsh.

http://www.gofarmer.com -> trade livestock, farm machinery, find farm shops, farm stays, buy produce direct from the farm.
    Posted 6 years ago #
  3. pinkpoultry

Ooo im not sure, Im also unsure if we have anyone else from Russia who farms anything, maybe TopVeg will be able to help, but she may just have UK crop knowledge?? But are you looking for plants for outside or do you have a greenhouse or cloches? As many frost hardy plants may be able to grow such as Pak Choi, Mizuna, Mibuna, Kale, Winter Spinach etc, which are all frost hardy in the UK but im unsure how cold they can grow. What have you tried to grow?

Posted 6 years ago #
  4. If it cold then you would not farm much that frost and freezing tempratures would effect.
    So root crops would be more resistant to the cold

Posted 6 years ago #
  5. marybe

I am from Michigan northern USA our winters are not as tough as some places but can get pretty cold. The best winter plants for me have been Kale (curly leaf type), swiss chard, and parsley. If I cover them with snow in the middle of winter to protect them from ice they keep growing.

Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.