Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Ducks

Ducklings outside, or not outside!

(17 posts)

1. quax

I am getting exasperated by this weather, my ducklings love to be outside splashing about in their water trays, but I worry they will get cold if the sun goes in or it is a bit windy or if it rains. They have a small box with straw in it at one end of their run which is undercover. Yesterday, I put the run in the garage, then put it outside when the sun came out in the afternoon (I prefer them on grass), then at about 4pm we brought them into the house back in their box. This morning the sun was shining, so I began setting up the run for them, then it started raining, so I decided to let them have their paddle in my back hall which soon became very wet and pooey! I've now set up an indoor run using boxes and an old table cloth on the floor, with access to a box of straw with their lamp over. Now the sun has come out again!!!!!!!!!
    I seem to be spending all my time moving them from one place to another and cleaning up after them. Lucky I'm not at work at the mo!
    What sort of out door temperature do you think they would be happy in now that they're 2 weeks old?

Rachel
    Posted 7 years ago #
  2. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi Rachel.
    Mine are 18days old and definitely don't fit under Mattie anymore. They lie together for a rest come rain/wind or shine and are near to her but dont get any warmth from her so I would suggest you leave them outside as they very gorgeous but also pooey and stinky and are pretty hardy, even at this age.
    S

Sarah L
    Posted 7 years ago #
  3. your both far more experienced than me, but I can't help thinking ourdoor hatched ducklings must be more hardy than indoor hatched ones that have been used to heat lamps,and draft proof beds, at that age mine were only outside for short periods but were in a shed so again not as warm as inside a house,
    why not put them out and keep an eye on them, you have protection for them and if they are to cold im sure you would know by them huddeling under shelter and not playing anyway
    Mo

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  4. quax

Yes I do tend to keep an eye on them when they're outside, I've made a large box into a little den for them with a small cutout door which flaps down to a ramp, so I think tomorrow I will let them out for longer (I think the weather will be better tomorrow), they can huddle in their cosy box if necessary (with all the straw I put in). They are getting so big. Oh and someone has shown an interest in buying some of them for his farm. I hope he does as we really can't keep any, although Joseph is desperate to keep one, but I think one would be picked on by the others (or would it?) and 2 more would be a bit of a squeeze in the duck house at night I think. The house is 3 foot by 4 foot, and I think 7 would be a bit too many. What does everyone think?

Rachel
    Posted 7 years ago #
  5. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi Rachel, I think 3x4 is really a bit tight for 7 unless they all cuddle up together all the time. I know mine do during the day but they seem to like to move about a bit at night and of course have a stretch..............

Sarah L
    Posted 7 years ago #
  6. sonya

I put mine out from 3 weeks when they were still all soft and fluffy. They are in a run with a shelter at one end, and i put them out first thing and bring em indoors at dusk. They happily splash around in the mud come rain or shine and are doing just fine @ 5 weeks old now.

Posted 7 years ago #
  7. quax

Well today they were out from about 8.30 - 4pm. I knew it was going to rain in the afternoon, but as they had shelter I thought they would be fine and they were. Even in the rain they still were happy to be paddling in the water. I only brought them in when the rain became harder and the wind picked up. But it's nice to know that they will be fine even on slightly rainy days.
    And I think you're right Sarah, 7 would be too many in our little house, I must be strong. Actually, I will be glad not to be cleaning up poo all day!!!

Rachel
    Posted 7 years ago #
  8. you could of course get another house x

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  9. quax

Or 2!

Rachel
    Posted 7 years ago #
  10. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Lisa's hubby Ben's, duck arks are simply fab!
    We gave in last year and bought a garden shed for the 5 ducks

Sarah L
    Posted 7 years ago #
  11. quax

My hubby is threatening to stop me going on FF!! Surely a few more duck houses in the garden isn't reason for divorce is it?

Rachel
    Posted 7 years ago #
  12. Hi Rachel,
    Often hubbies and partners are grumbling about facebook, funny to think it's farmingfriends that our lot mention. My hubby says everytime he comes in I'm on the forum!!!! I love coming to the forum and reading what's happening to all our farmingfriends, great to have met so many like minded people and made good "farmingfriends"!

I have only seen pics of Lisa's hubby's poultry huts but they look brilliant.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  13. quax

Well, it is so interesting to hear everyone's point of view, ideas and clever tips and of course see all the lovely pictures. Even if they aren't of ducks!!

Rachel
    Posted 7 years ago #
  14. Mama

My hubby knows I go to bed with Farming Friends or facebook , on my laptop of course. We can not help having such lovely pals .Yes Lisa's pics of the huts look great. I am sure they would do well selling them . I would not be on either if it was not for FF and enjoy every minute . I wanted advice and just happened to find the web site . I don't have a lot of input at the mo but still love reading all .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  15. lol my Pete is a ff widow too, but at least i dont natter through all his boring tv programms
    Mo

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  16. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Keeps us out of mischeif eh girls? think of all the other things we could be doing..............
    like spending money or anything else for that matter

Sarah L
    Posted 7 years ago #
  17. Mama

And cleaning !!!!! Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.