Cows gives us milk which can be used to make many different products such as butter, cheese and yoghurt.
Yoghurt is a cultured milk. This means that it has been soured by bacteria which grows in the milk to make it thicker and therefore produce the yoghurt.
To make 1 pint (1/2 litre) of yoghurt.
1) 1 pint of milk.
2) 1 tablespoon of plain live yoghurt.
3) 1 tablespoon of dried skimmed milk.
4) Sliced fruit or chopped nuts (optional).
1) Put 1 pint of milk in a pan and bring to boiling point.
2) Cool the milk until it is 120F/48C.
3) Pour the milk into a sterile bowl.
4) Stir in the tablespoon of plain live yoghurt and dried skimmed milk.
5) Mix the milk and yoghurt together thoroughly.
6) Cover the bowl and wrap it in a towel to keep the mixture warm at a temperature of 110F/43C.
7) Leave the mixture until it has thickened and turned into yoghurt. This thickening process can take from 6 – 12 hours.
8) Mix in any sliced fruit or chopped nuts you wish to add for flavouring. This is optional.
9) When thickened, place the yoghurt in the fridge.
We found the yoghurt kept for about a week in the fridge.
I can’t believe how easy it is to make yoghurt.
Follow these simple steps and you too can make natural yoghurt.