National Chip Week has been held this week (12th-18th February 2007) in the UK.
Events have included;
· Trying to set 5 different chip records in the Guiness Book Of Records.
· 800 chip shops across the country promoting chips.
· Creating positive press for chips with many articles and adverts being written and shown in magazines and on TV.
Chips are fried potatoes and homemade chips are great.
1. Just peel your potatoes.
2. Cut them into rectangular stick shapes, either thin or thick. Although sometimes I slice them into circular slices.
3. Heat up a chip pan of vegetable oil.
4. Add potato pieces to the chip basket.
5. Put basket into the chip pan and fry the potatoes until they are crispy and golden brown.
6. Take basket out of pan and drain well.
7. Serve with your favourite food.
To celebrate National Chip Week my husband and I have enjoyed eating homemade chips as well as chips from our local chippy. But to pay homage to the chip, we have gastronomically experimented in the kitchen and extended the range of chips that can be served up at our meal times from just the wonderful potato chip to the sweet potato chip, butternut squash chip and the parsnip chip.
We decided to see which vegetables would make a good alternative to the potato chip. Into the chip pan went;
· Sweet potatoes
· Butternut Squash
The results (based solely on our own opinions and of course our tastebuds!) were interesting;
· Sweet potato chips are a great alternative to the potato chip they fry well and can be quite crispy, with a soft interior and a lovely sweet taste.
· Parsnip chips are great they are very crispy and sweet tasting.
· Butternut squash chips are a softer chip with a crispy coating and a subtle sweet taste.
· Beetroot chips are also a softer chip with a crispy coating and a sweetish taste.
· Carrot chips can be a little dried up.
My husband and I had great fun tasting our alternative chips and felt that frying parsnips, sweet potatoes and butternut squash would be a clever way of getting our niece and nephews to eat the vegetables that they won’t eat in the traditional way.
- National Chip Week In The UK 2007 National Chip Week has been held this week (12th-18th February...
- National Food Weeks In The UK 2010 I have been asked about national food weeks that are...
- National Bread Week In The UK Warburtons’ National Bread Week in the UK runs from the...
- Dates For The Diary – Food And Farm Produce In The UK Dates For The Diary National Farmhouse Breakfast Week – 20th-26th...
- National BBQ Week In The UK National BBQ Week in the UK will be held from Monday...
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.