- Oats are a cereal crop.
- They are a strain of grass that are cultivated and harvested for their grain.
- Oats were commonly fed to cattle and horses.
- The production of oats has declined since the mechanisation of farming and the replacement of the horse by the tractor.
- The decline has also come about because barley is a higher yielding crop with a better animal feed value than oats.
- Harvesting oats is difficult since the grain and ears fall off easily if they become over ripe.
- Oats are still grown as animal feed and also for porridge and other cereal foods.