Cliare has a pregnant sow but is unsure when her pig will farrow.
claire here again well its been a while but still no piglets yet.
for the first time one of my pigs started to lose thick creamy discharge today and all day could u tell me what this means as her teats have not fully dropped yet is this a sign of being due
please help asap as im worryed what this is coming from her
thanks from claire
Usually nest building occurs when farrowing is imminent and your gilt may lay down. I have read that a slight discharge in the form of blood and mucus can be discharged an hour or two before the birth so this discharge you mention could be normal, but if you are concerned then I would contact someone you know who knows about breeding/farrowing pigs or if you are very concerned then I would consider contacting a vet although this will be costly if they are called out. You could phone your local vet and describe the symptoms and get a phone consultation. Does the discharge smell? If so I have read that this could be a sign for concern.I have checked all the books I have on keeping pigs and looked at the illness section in all. None of the illnesses mention a thick creamy discharge so it maybe the start of farrowing but if in doubt then I would consult someone.
Hope this information helps. I will keep my fingers crossed for your pig and hope that you get some piglets very soon. Keep me posted.
Sara @ farmingfriends
well no piglets yet but thanks for getting back to me on my questions
well 3rd august and my girl is swelling around her lady bits and still is swelling today 4th but she is still eating and no nest building
so how long do u think she’s got with this swelling showing
thanks for any more info
If you have any information about pregnant sows then please leave a comment, thanks.
- Sow Swelling Claire emailed me about her pregnant sow who is swelling...
- What To Feed A Pregnant Gilt Or Pregnant Sow Pregnant sows or gilts can be fed sow breeder pellets,...
- What To Do With A Pregnant Sow Or Gilt That Is Close To Farrowing I am often asked what to do with a pregnant...
- How To Tell If a Pig Is About To Farrow There are a number of signs that help you identify...
- Feeding Pregnant Gilts Or Sows Pregnant gilts or sows can be fed: sow breeder pellets/nuts...
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.