I have two gilts – Cagney and Lacy, who are due to farrow any day if I have calculated the dates correctly!
When preparing for farrowing you need to;
- Separate the pigs about two weeks before farrowing.
- Give a dose of wormer to the gilt or sow about a week before farrowing.
- Disinfect the farrowing area and give the gilt or sow straw and other nesting materials such as dry leaves and twigs so that she can build a nest.
- Wash the gilt or sows teats and tummy area.
Set up an area for the piglets slightly away from the gilt or sow, with straw and a pig lamp.
A useful book for a new pig keeper and breeder is the book Starting With Pigs by Andy Case.
Starting With Pigs By Andy Case
Stock Available: 5
If you keep pigs or are thinking of keeping pigs then join the free farmingfriends pig forum for the latest chat, advice and questions about pigs and pig related issues.
If you would like to receive regular information about pigs then why not sign up to the farmingfriends newsletter.
- Farrowing Sow’s Breathing When a sow or gilt is about to farrow (have...
- Should You Be Present When A Gilt Or Sow Is Farrowing? I am sometimes asked if you should be present when...
- Farrowing Crates For Pigs What is a farrowing crate? A farrowing crate is a pen...
- What To Do With A Pregnant Sow Or Gilt That Is Close To Farrowing I am often asked what to do with a pregnant...
- My Gilts Before Farrowing My gilts (Cagney and Lacy) are pregnant and likely to...
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.