The quail chicks are doing well.
- It only takes quail chicks an hour or so before they start to peck for food and begin to drink.
- The chicks soon start to scratch the ground and quail have fairly large which allows them to scratch.
- Within a few days of hatching some of the chicks had already started to call out. I think this may be the males as they were trying to stand up tall as they called out.
- The male chicks produce a louder call.
- The female chicks have a quiet cooing type call.
- After a few days the quail were beginning to try to flutter their wings.
- Within a week their wing feathers have started to develop.
Did you know?
- It is only 6 weeks between hatching and laying eggs for quail hens.
- By week 3 it should be possible to clearly identify the male and female quail chicks.