We had some rabbit meat in the freezer so I made a rabbit casserole with it.
- whole rabbit cut into joints.
- 1 carrot diced.
- 1 leek sliced thinly.
- Half a red pepper, green pepper and yellow pepper cut into small pieces.
- 4 tomatoes chopped into quarters.
- 6-8 mushrooms sliced.
- 1 onion peeled and sliced thinly.
- 1 pint of vegetable stock.
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Pinch of thyme.
- Flour for coating meat.
- Butter for frying.
- Coat joints of rabbit in flour.
- Melt butter in a pan.
- Fry rabbit joints so that they are brown on both sides. Remove and keep warm.
- Fry onions, mushrooms and peppers in remaining butter.
- Add remaining vegetables, lemon juice, thyme and stock.
- Return the rabbit to the pan, cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the rabbit is tender.
- Remove the rabbit and take the meat from the bones and then add the meat back into the pan and stir until meat mixed in.
Serve the rabbit casserole with potatoes and green vegetables. Serves 4.
If you would like to receive recipes from the farmingfriends kitchen then why not sign up to the farmingfriends newsletter.