If you are raising guinea fowl from 6/8 weeks old then they don’t need to have heat and can go outside. I free range my guinea fowl during the day and then put them in a hut to roost at night although guinea fowl will naturally roost in trees if you don’t train them to go in a hut. I like mine to go in a hut at night so that they are protected from predators such as the fox and that they are also sheltered from the weather. Sometimes if it is raining hard my guinea fowl will choose to stay in the hut. http://www.farmingfriends.com/guinea-fowl-housing-siting-the-hut/
I have read that there can be 15 birds per square metre for intensively reared guinea fowl and Jeannette ferguson in her book “Gardening With Guineas” recommends as a general guideline “3 to 4 square feet per guinea fowl.” Overcrowding can lead to fighting and featherpicking. http://www.farmingfriends.com/feather-picking-and-cannibalism-in-poultry/
If your guinea fowl are not used to being in a hut or are new to your land then keep the guinea fowl in the hut for a few days and then let one guinea out at a time . This is because guinea fowl are social creatures and if you only let one out they will stay near the hut because they don’t want to go away from the other guinea fowl.
Guinea fowl can also be trained to go into the hut at night. I use long sticks to drive my guinea fowl in the direction I want then to go. If the sticks get too close to the guinea fowl it spooks them and they fly up into the trees. http://www.farmingfriends.com/how-to-stop-guinea-fowl-straying-onto-the-road/
Diana The Guinea Fowl HenGuinea fowl need fresh clean water daily and can eat a mix of pellets & wheat.
When they free range they also eat;
- sugar beet
- fodder beet
I have recently set up a forum and have a guinea fowl section.
http://farmingfriends.com/forums/forum.php?id=2 It is free to join and members can chat about their guinea fowl and ask questions and other members can answer and chat back.
- Incubating, Hatching And Raising Guinea Fowl Keets eBook For Sale Want to know the secrets of raising guinea fowl successfully?...
- Incubating, Hatching And Raising Guinea Fowl Keets eBook Praised I was delighted to receive this lovely email praising my...
- Incubating, Hatching And Raising Guinea Fowl Keets eBook Coming Soon [caption id="attachment_2586" align="aligncenter" width="400" caption="Guinea Fowl Keets"][/caption] I have recently...
- How To Stop Guinea Fowl Straying Onto The Road I am afraid that the guinea fowl need to be...
- Ways To Start Rearing Guinea Fowl There are a number of ways you can start rearing...
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.